July 20: Window Licking Day (Scotland)
- 1903 - The Ford Motor Company ships its first car, the Model R, with an engine that powers its four wooden wheels with whale oil.
- 1928 - The government of Hungary issues a decree ordering Gypsies to settle in one place, surrender their Gypsy gold, and take a bath goddammit!
- 1944 - Adolf Hitler survives bomb blast in the bunker. A build-up in flatulence is blamed. Chef Claus von Stauffenberg is shot.
- 1969 - NASA astronaut Louis Armstrong becomes the first man to set foot on the moon (pictured) when Apollo 11 splashes down in the Sea of Tranquillity.
- 1974 - Turkeys invade Cyprus.
- 1981 - The chemical compund Anime is first isolated in a Japanese laboratory.
- 2006 - A small Minnesota town mourns the loss of a small child who drowned in a pond.