From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, KindaCertain, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
- What you can do
You can create your own article. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:KindaCertain/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
Here are some pages that might help you:
- Beginner's Guide
- Help pages
- Our vanity policies: Why we don't want articles about your friends, and probably not about your school
- And, if you need to learn what is funny, what is not, and what seems funny except that it's been tried a hundred times here already, read "How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid."
- For personal help
- The administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will watch this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a Proofreading service where someone will correct your mistakes, and a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read your article and suggest improvements.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice them.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!11:35 24-Nov-13
Hello and welcome! You had a good addition here, though it needed one spelling correction.11:35 24-Nov-13
You created this redirect to Kindergarten, commenting that you saw good potential for wordplay. But an author who wanted this wordplay would code
[[Kindergarten|Reception]]. Rather than toy with the user by having a link that forces him somewhere he doesn't want to go, you can tell the same joke with the above "piped link" that (by hovering over it) will tell the user where it would take him if he clicked on it. The editor I collaborated with on Sheep prefers, in the case of puns that need a bit of calling out, to make the word in question be a piped link to Pun. 21:46 2-Dec-13
- Generally I agree, but Reception-Kindergarten is obscure enough that a non-Brit might not get it through a piped link alone. I'm trying to think of a less predictable addition to Kindergarten than 'we call it "reception" in the civilised world' to polish it off. KindaCertain (talk) 21:52, December 2, 2013 (UTC)
I did not know of that British usage at all! In that case, a redirect makes perfect sense.21:56 2-Dec-13
PS--However, its first use (at Final Fantasy VIII) will prove equally baffling to my countrymen. Clearly, a section Reception (meaning critics' reaction to the game) made you think about reaction to the game by 4-year-olds. Unfortunately, the text that resulted will mean very little to Americans. Without claiming we are the primary audience, this section does need a better hint for us. 22:04 2-Dec-13
- I agree: hence why I'm trying to find a way of slipping "reception" into the kindergarten lead.
On the general point, it all depends on what you're trying to do. If the aim is a simple pun that most people will get when they hover, piped links are the way to go. If on the other hand you are trying to engineer something that many others won't get straight away, a redirect is sometimes the best bet. But as you say, the redirect only works if there is an explanation on the other end. KindaCertain (talk) 22:07, December 2, 2013 (UTC)
Your edit to Kindergarten tries to bring along all readers, except for one thing: Oscar Wilde, just above, would not have referred to Kindergarten at all. I have an idea.... 22:42 2-Dec-13
- Isn't kintergarten the American version of nursery? I don't think the Americans have an equivalent for reception. Sir ScottPat (converse) VFH UnS NotM WotM WotY 08:52, July 14, 2014 (UTC)
- Most education systems jump from nursery straight to the first year of school I think. But reception is like a proper year at school, that it isn't compulsory to attend legally. Sir ScottPat (converse) VFH UnS NotM WotM WotY 09:02, July 14, 2014 (UTC)
- KC, thank you for creating a user page, regardless of what's in it. This will keep your name from showing up in red in activity logs, which makes us think "
vandal" "noobie." You are welcome to type as much of an introduction or other egotism as you feel comfortable with. 14:43 9-Dec-13
edit Recent edits: Fascists, SNP, Liberal Democrats and Capitalism
Hi there! Thanks for touching these articles up. Your edit to the SNP article was an addition to a list. We do not encourage lists as lists usually encourage IPs to add random nonsense to them. If you can could you possibly re-write the list into a paragraph that would be helpful.
Bar Fascists, the other three articles need almost complete re-writes anyway as they are full of memes, lists and un-encyclopedic styled writing (which ruins the parody effect), if you have any time we'd be grateful if you could re-write any one of them (or all of them). Thanks. Sir ScottPat (converse) VFH UnS NotM WotM WotY 08:59, July 14, 2014 (UTC)
edit Fuck a Dog
Don't count me as a Blink-182 expert, but that can't be a song...?01:05 9-Sep-14
I tend not to like songs that "tell a story" and especially in this case, I won't pursue it further. Carry on....Despite that, 01:15 9-Sep-14 I did. What an episode of biting the hand that feeds you! However, back to your edit of Worst 100 Songs To Have Sex To, I wonder if this amuses or just baffles the user, or even strikes him as a neat song To Have Sex To and not one of the 100 Worst. 01:20 9-Sep-14