From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
| Member of the Order of Uncyclopedia|
This person has successfully registered on Uncyclopedia. They
should be proud of themselves for making such a smart move.
Hello, Ironman24, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, books, etc.
- What you can do
You can create your own article. It is better to do it under your won name, if, for example, you are not sure whether you will finish it; for example, User:Ironman24/An article. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) If you don't have any ideas, we have a list of articles that need to be created.
If you've written an article, we have a Proofreading service where someone will correct your mistakes, and a review process where another Uncyclopedian will read your article and suggest improvements.
You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
- Our vanity policies: why you should not write anything about yourself or your friends
- And finally, How to be funny and not just stupid|this guide will tell you what can be funny and what cannot and whether some jokes have already been overused.
- For personal help
- Active administrators of Uncyclopedia are able to help you. In addition to that they are paid twice as much as we are, however, they still cannot afford a cup of coffee;
- Several experienced Uncyclopedians have indicated their willingness to adopt new users;
- Finally, you can ask questions on your (here) or on my talk page. And I will be willing to help you!
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice your addition.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more ":" characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your signature (you can set it up using Preferences) and the date and time of your post.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
Hello and welcome! For now, I'm placing your new article in your own userspace, where you can edit it under the name shown above. In this location, it is not necessary to tag it, and you can take as long as you need to prepare it for the encyclopedia. Without work, however, this article is unlikely to be notable to the general reader in the English-speaking world, and it will take really good writing (not a personal conversation between you and the reader!) to overcome this problem. In particular, the article should be entertaining even for people who are not students at CIPET and in fact have never heard of the place. Happy editing! 16:30 29-Jul-13
- Ironman24 - thank you,i have been a reader of uncyclopedia since years but am new to editing and writing article and formatting things. Yes,i want it to be enjoyable to everyone,whether or not they belong to the institution. But i need help!! perhaps a lot,a lot,and yes,a lot!!
(Please see above on how to post to talk pages.) Help is always available, but at the end of the day, we are still left with an article about an institution that no one but you knows about! May I suggest that you look at Uncyclopedia:Requested Articles and pick something you know about as a subject? Or look at the template at the bottom of Kerala and note that most Indian states have no article. 10:10 30-Jul-13
- Ironman24 -thanks again for replying,and one honest question,am i posting comments the wrong way?? and my next question is,will the article get deleted?? well,i read the wikipedia article on the institution,and it said that about 10k students study here,so please give some time,there is actually a lot to do,there are no images even!!
(Please see above on how to post to talk pages. Especially the part about signing and timestamping them.) No one will delete an article in your userspace unless it does something really bad, such as insult private persons or contain pornography. VJTI is a similar article that I repaired, but it is still not very notable. There are a lot of people in Monrovia, Liberia, too; but not a lot of Uncyclopedians. Again, you need to use good and funny writing to overcome the notability problem. 11:17 30-Jul-13
- I think I got it!! and I would be glad if you repair my article and give suggestions!! Thanks Ironman24 (talk) 11:46, July 30, 2013 (UTC)
I would not "repair" an article in userspace that, again, I claim is not notable. But I'll give a detailed review.
- There are things that might seem funny to you that don't seem funny to us because we have seen them too often. We try to describe these in the comedy guide, How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid. Please read the whole thing.
- One thing that is falling out of favor here like a stone is initial quotations. Quotes have only two functions: (1) to make our pages look like encyclopedia articles, and (2) to whet the reader's appetite to read further. The list of six quotations that you just added is way too much! especially as none of them is based on anything that anyone actually said, or terribly relevant to CIPET. (Well, one is: The last one, reflecting the struggle between manufacturing and plastics. However, as this is an epilog presented long before you set up the joke, it just baffles the reader and discourages him from beginning to read the article.) Another thing that is falling out of favor is Oscar Wilde and Russian Reversal. In selecting memes you have seen elsewhere in Uncyclopedia, I think you are pursuing imitation, not comedy.
- Another thing that is falling out of favor here is lists. The comedy guide notes that they often tell the same joke over and over again--as you do in the list in Alumni--and encourage unskilled editors to add dumb items to it forever, as this list will do as well. Make your funny points in paragraphs of prose instead.
- Indecision keeps the page from looking encyclopedic too, whether you do it with
strikethroughor dithering (dickheads...I mean students). A satire encyclopedia is a peculiar form of comedy that is not as free-form as standing up in front of a crowd and performing. For example, you usually should not wisecrack with the reader on what he might have guessed by now.
- Who taught you not to type a space after commas and periods? Around here, we do.
- If you type a link and it comes up red, it means you are referencing a page that doesn't exist. This is an error, such as in your See Also section (which also should not have a capital A). You can make any text, which is not the name of a page, refer to a page that does exist, by coding with a pipe:
I hope this helps!16:13 30-Jul-13
PS--Thanks for taking the above into account. Now: No one but you knows what a "Kabaadiwallaha" is or why it's funny. You must not make this a recurring theme of the page without first introducing it, in a way that will be funny to any reader. Thanks!13:14 31-Jul-13
Absolutely! On writing something totally cryptic, it is a weak defense that you have extended invitations to hypothetical readers to whom it might not be cryptic!
Separately, another recurring theme of the page is the tension between Plastics and Manufacturing. I thought this should be introduced rather than merely mentioned repeatedly, and invented an explanation of how it came to be.14:12 31-Jul-13