From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, Felislupis, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages that anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is devoted to comedy. It pretends it is Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
- What you can do
You can create an article of your own. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:Felislupis/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help out without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, there are ways to help out without writing at all, such as helping us organize stuff, monitoring the activity log for vandals, or even greeting other new users like this.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Decide to be polite, be positive and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
Here are some pages that might help you:
- Beginner's Guide
- Help pages
- Our vanity policies: Why we don't want articles about your friends, and probably not about your school
- And, if you need to learn what is funny, what is not, and what seems funny except that it's been tried a hundred times here already, read "How to be funny and not just stupid."
- For personal help
- All the administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will be watching this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read it and tell you how to improve it.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice your addition.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!23:56 16-Feb-13
edit Up There /\
- Thank you for writing back — as this website is not just about writing humor but being part of a collaboration. Glad to have you on board. The photo comes from my user page. You are welcome to create a user page of your own; in fact, encouraged to do so, as links to it will stop showing up as red, which makes a user look like a newbie. 13:53 17-Feb-13
- Yes, I am checking out some of your edits (unfortunately for you, as in Blue, see below). I saw one article that looked as though you are going to need help with spelling, but that might have been deliberate. Yes, you have a user page. At least you didn't use it to advertise the latest album from your girl-group! Check out those of other users too. By the way, we can see on your user pages exactly which pages you are watching; if you don't like this, you can disable this under My preferences. 14:37 17-Feb-13
- If you have a picture on your PC that you want to use, go to Special:Upload and fill in the form, and it will be transferred to Uncyclopedia. If you do not, try these things:
- Go to a related article and see what it's got
- Click on a Category at the bottom of a page; it may include pictures
- Use our crappy Special:Search function to hope that others have typed a description of their pictures that you can search for.
- Imitate the coding on this or other pages to get the picture into your article. By the way, if you are having trouble figuring out Uncyclopedia, don't hide your comments in a talk page to an article in userspace; ask someone here, or take it to my talk page. 14:03 17-Feb-13
- Then I can't give you any more specific guidance than that above; but may Uncyclopedians have Macs. The Special:Upload page would look the same and the procedure should be comparable. Ignore my reference to "PC". 14:34 17-Feb-13
- Procedure is identical in using a mac. Using an ipad or similar smart device is a little more complex though, unfortunately. • Puppy's talk page • 03:35 17 Feb 2013
With regrets, I am undoing your edit here. When you see a long list, please resist the temptation to pitch in and make it even longer. We prefer funny paragraphs rather than lists of things where the author has made no effort to add humor but expects the thing listed to do so by itself. (Notoriously, a "true fact" like one of the things you added.) Thanks.14:17 17-Feb-13
edit Article in your userspace with the long name
One thing about articles with a long name is that no one types it, and so no one reads it. I disagree that the purpose is to save time; the purpose is to link together stuff you've done. But this is one of the things you use your user page for. If we read an article and want to read more stuff from the same guy, we go to the article's History, then find the biggest contributor and either click on his name to read his user page, or click on his Contributions to find what else he's done recently.
Starting with an explanation and the See Also breaks the con that the reader is reading an encyclopedia article, with no matching increase in Funny. So I hope you'll develop your user page rather than use a page in mainspace for this. Cheers!23:41 17-Feb-13
- Well, keep in mind, just searching one of the page's topics will be enough. Felislupis (talk) 04:18, February 18, 2013 (UTC)
Again, I am not saying you don't want such a page but suggesting that you put it at User:Felislupis. 12:08 18-Feb-13
Well, the last time I visited the page, it was nothing but the bare bones. It's taking shape now, looking more like an encyclopedia article, though I still wonder who is ever going to type its name. A little too random for my tastes; my favorites are pages that are about something, pages that bounce off reality from time to time. It is easy to tell you have an active mind; it is hard to tell what you are getting at here.15:13 18-Feb-13
- Think about it: if you search "pink", you get every page with the word "pink"; if you search "walnuts", you get every page with the word "walnuts"; etc. Also, I think random is simply what Uncyclopedia is all about. Felislupis (talk) 15:19, February 18, 2013 (UTC)
You are entitled to your own opinion about creativity. Me, I think that funny is what Uncyclopedia is about, whereas random is what Illogicopedia and Encyclopedia Dramatica are (were?) about.
Okay, I'm thinking about it. If the page title were perhaps twelve hundred lines long, then it will come up on any search for anything. That is: No one wants to read your article, but everyone will see it anyway in their search results. This, Sir or Madam, is a pursuit we refer to as "whoring your work."15:24 18-Feb-13
- Well, say someone's on the page for Blue and wants to go on the page for Pink. What do they do? They click on "Pink" in the "color-hub" template, and get redirected to "The 5 Symbols Of Negativity" (since one of them is Pink). Do you see where I'm going with this? P.S. I usually see "funny" and "random" as one and the same. Felislupis (talk) 18:29, February 18, 2013 (UTC)
I told you where I see you going with this: More hokey ways to get people to read your stuff. And "funny" and "random" are not the same; see UN:HTBFANJS. 18:36 18-Feb-13