From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, Dudebronkey, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
- What you can do
You can create your own article. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:Dudebronkey/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
Here are some pages that might help you:
- Beginner's Guide
- Help pages
- Our vanity policies: Why we don't want articles about your friends, and probably not about your school
- And, if you need to learn what is funny, what is not, and what seems funny except that it's been tried a hundred times here already, read "How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid."
- For personal help
- The administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will watch this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a Proofreading service where someone will correct your mistakes, and a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read your article and suggest improvements.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice them.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!00:31 30-Apr-13
Hello and welcome! I am delighted that you linked the text to my article on Chihuahua, Mexico. When adding links to an article, only the first reference to something needs to be a link. Did you read my recommendations to the article's creator on the discussion page? Happy editing! 00:31 30-Apr-13
Thank you for continuing to work on this article! Now, I know I said on the talk page that the article needed an Intro, and you have given it one. But what I meant is that it needs an Intro that does what Intros are supposed to do: be funny enough to suck the reader into the rest of the article (in the same comedy style as the article, so the reader knows what he's in for). Thanks!08:54 30-Apr-13
Also, you are ready for a pro-tip: Please press the Preview button to see how your edits will look on the page, then continue editing. Only press Save to write your changes to the encyclopedia when you are at a major stopping point. This will minimize the number of official edits in Special:RecentChanges that our overnight crew of chimpanzees must review. Thanks! 09:06 30-Apr-13
Good work! I took it out of Intensive Care. But there are many links to pages that don't exist; either you should unlink them, or you should get very busy. Other editing notes:
- [File:...] needs to be followed by a hard RETURN (Enter).
- Some of your stuff is not really comedy but just fiction, or else I'm missing how it relates to the real Broncos. You're writing to people around the world and some of us may need more hints in order to make us laugh.
- Mind your grammar, capitalization and commas and stuff. Use the singular (a Bronco's helmet) and the plural (the Broncos' best quarterback).
- Just delete my page I am the author. I am tired of trying to please people with nothing better to do than nit pick everything. I also think you should take a look at Peyton Manning's page. There is no humor there at all. I will no longer be working on Denver Broncos, so you can delete it. I don't care to hear a reply so don't bother, it will be a waste of your time. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Dudebronkey (talk • contribs)
I am sorry you consider my comments nitpicky; they were given in good faith. I am sorry you are tired of trying to please people, because that is what we do here. If you want to write only for yourself, there is indeed no need for you to use Uncyclopedia; but if you want to write for a reader other than yourself, you need to take the reader into account, and I am trying to help. To point out that some of the pages you link to don't exist is not nitpicky; it is advice on how to fix aspects of your page that simply look like mistakes. Likewise your difficulty with apostrophes. If there really is no humor at Peyton Manning, I should hope you would tackle that page next--not just use it as the excuse that your article is not the absolute worst there is. 00:35 4-May-13