From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Oh, why hello there! I take it by the logs that your name is... Dorisdoom! (Interesting name, by the way.) and thanks for taking that extra leap and joining Uncyclopedia! Now, this is standard procedure, and it may seem boring, but we still recommend it. So I give to you the basic guides of Uncyclopedia: the Beginner's Guide.
edit Further reading can include:
- About Uncyclopedia and The five pliers of Uncyclopedia
- Help Pages - if you need help with a specific issue
- Votes for Highlight Page - read the very best articles and have your say about what goes onto our front page
- Random Featured Article - for a look at some of Uncyc's best (or ocasionally, side-splittingly random) featured work, as inspiration.
edit Other Stuff
If you need help, you are welcome to ask me anything you want, save that on my talk page, ask at the community forum, or ask an administrator on their talk page. I encourage you to join the prestigious Adopt-a-Noob program can bring experienced editors straight to you! Simply leave a message on an adopter's talkpage to join. Or of course, ask anyone you think can help. Just don't leave a hundred messages on the page. Please make sure to make a sig (or you can
harass ask another user to make you a basic sig which you can work off of, and then remember to sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~) or use the "sign" button () which you can see above the edit box(you can try this out by leaving a reply to this welcome message. Now, if you find that you cannot be on hand to write articles all the time, I encourage you to do one of the following. Make an article in your userspace, which will keep it out of the mainspace. User:Dorisdoom/Generic article is a userspace article you can have and use. This makes the article in your namespace, where you can work on it to all your heart's desires! Good luck, and I hope to see you around!--The Shield of Azunai DSA510My Edits! 23:17, June 27, 2013 (UTC)
Hello and welcome! I am enjoying your work here. I intervened only to remove the horizontal rules you added, as this article should not invent differences in typography from other Uncyclopedia articles. While you are working on it, please consider also taking the relevant parts out of the second person ("If you visit Leicester...."); recommendations, nagging, scolding, and so on, should be confined to our HowTo department. I have given you the
autopatrolled rank so that your edits will not be flagged for the automatic review given new users and vandals. Cheers! 17:21 29-Jun-13
- Hi. Thanks for encouraging comments and rank etc. I am totally new to this so have been making it up as I go long to some extent. I wondered where the lines went - sorry about that. Any idea how I change my username? It should have been Doris Doom rather than Dorisdoom. --Dorisdoom (talk) 19:58, June 29, 2013 (UTC)Doris Doom
You are in luck! as we have a once-in-a-user-life offer of a free name change; see the instructions at the top of User talk:Sannse. After that, on any subsequent indecision, you'd have to just abandon your user name, register another one, and start life over again. You're good, but please don't "make it up as you go along" but read some of the introductory pages mentioned in the Welcome above (my own version is at User:SPIKE/Welcome). 20:06 29-Jun-13
edit Bye then
ChiefjusticeDS just removed 'some profanity' (i.e. the phrase 'Shakespeare? What a twat.') and replaced it with a phrase so entirely lacking in humour, and so out of keeping with the spirit of the piece that I deleted it and hereby resign.
- Aw, for Pete's sake! This is a wiki and people are going to disagree. "Twat," to an older generation, is essentially the same word as "cunt," and it doesn't even fit with the rest of your more eloquent work. To the point, if you disagree with him, talk to him, that's the way we do things here. You are dabbling in the main encyclopedia and have to work with the rest of the team. 23:58 29-Jun-13
- For the record, the Chief's full Change Summary was: rm some profanity, otherwise very promising additions. As background, he has organized a general clean-up of all our British city/town articles (see Forum:A big British clean-up).
- Looking at the changes, perhaps he thought that Leicester as a place people go to die, was too generic (as when we find "chavcruft"). I don't know. Again: Why don't you talk to him?
- I'm sorry if my changes to your work have prompted you to "resign". The nature of our work here is editing through collaboration which, at times, will result in persons not agreeing on changes to an article The Leicester article is one I very recently gave a large overhaul to by removing a large amount of local in-jokes and giving the article a more encyclopaedic tone. As such on reading through your changes I removed a couple of bits that, in my opinion did not fit with that style, you will note that I left the vast majority of your changes intact. No offence is meant by my changes to the article and I would love to hear your ideas to change the article further. In relation to this you will find that throughout your time on any wiki that does not have a purely factual subject matter people change your work and edit it without your permission, to quote the edit screen: "If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here.". I would submit, as Spike does above, that the solution to a very minor disagreement like this one is not to leave the wiki altogether but rather to discuss it with the other user. I hope to hear from you about this soon. -- 17:41, June 30, 2013 (UTC)