From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, DancingBannan, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
You can create your own article. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:DancingBannan/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you. Here are some pages that might help:
Writing funny articles
|Understanding Uncyclopedia: About us • Beginner's Guide • How to edit • Our projects • Getting ideas • Help menu|
|Understanding Funny: How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid • Funny and not just stupid images • Choosing words creatively|
|What to avoid: Vandalism • Cyberbullying • Writing about yourself or your pals • Drama • Overuse of initial quotations • Overuse of lists|
|What people have asked for: Articles • Pictures|
|Additional help: Get spelling/grammar help • Find or become a co-author • How to write an UnNews • Ask an Admin • Get feedback on your work|
- For personal help
- The administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will watch this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a Proofreading service where someone will correct your mistakes, and a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read your article and suggest improvements.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice them.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!04:16 13-Feb-14
Hello again! On User talk:Romartus, you say this page is the better part of a year in the making. However, I wish you would tweak it so that it bears a better superficial resemblance to an encyclopedia article, and does a better job up front of inducing the reader to read. In particular:
- Initial quotations, particularly ones that don't correspond to anything a known person said or would have said, and particularly when they start bickering back and forth, are usually the author amusing himself before he has begun to make the case to the reader. More about this at UNQUOTE.
- Long lists in an introduction (there are articles worse than yours, but any list will induce anonymous users to make it longer) and entitling the very first section Shit, n' stuff... gives the impression you dashed this out in your sleep and makes the reader less inclined to put effort into reading it.
- Your article doesn't have the strategy of Nobody knows/nobody cares/nobody gives a damn, but does go down these holes occasionally for an extra laugh. In How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid, we caution that these plays have been beaten to death here.
- I see only one link in the whole article. A few more links will make the text more colorful and make the article look more like Wikipedia.
- Likewise, there's only two photos, and this is a major concern to break up that long run of text.
- You have a References section, but no references. References aren't mandatory, even to resemble Wikipedia; it's just that an empty section looks weird. Articles usually do have a See also section, but don't go crazy.
- The list of characters, being a list, will likewise induce Anon to add cruft to your article. Please avoid "Trivia" and "Fun Facts" because these are worse.
I am not a gamer and so I can't evaluate how well you are doing at humor. But to be a really good article, it needs to offer something (maybe only an entertaining writing style) to non-gamers. Picking at random, the sentence of Samara leaves me with nothing to relate to. You need to always be sure you are writing humor and not blogging your own opinion about the game, even sardonically.
I hope that helps!23:52 13-Feb-14