From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, Chunkles, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
- What you can do
You can create your own article. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:Chunkles/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
Here are some pages that might help you:
- Beginner's Guide
- Help pages
- Our vanity policies: Why we don't want articles about your friends, and probably not about your school
- And, if you need to learn what is funny, what is not, and what seems funny except that it's been tried a hundred times here already, read "How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid."
- For personal help
- The administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will watch this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a Proofreading service where someone will correct your mistakes, and a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read your article and suggest improvements.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice them.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!03:36 11-Nov-13
Hello and welcome! Kinda gross, but well done!03:36 11-Nov-13
- Thanks! I was disappointed to see Uncyclopedia did not have an article on this. I hope to continue polishing and improving upon what I have
unleashedcreated! Chunkles (talk) 07:57, November 12, 2013 (UTC)
On your current batch of edits, "It is common knowledge that..." is gassy language that may look encyclopedic but actually makes us look less like an encyclopedia. The British-versus-American spelling thing, we wrestle with at length and it isn't funny; just pick one and stick with it. How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid describes several other techniques that seem funny but have been overused. Cheers! 11:30 12-Nov-13
- Thanks for pointing those out. I'll look into fixing those. Chunkles (talk) 15:04, November 12, 2013 (UTC)
Thanks! Those edits might strike you as "lazy" (from your change summary) but they make the article better. Please do peruse those documents; not because you need to, but to compare notes with other people who are trying to do the same thing as you. And if you disagree, say so and it could become an improvement to the style manual!15:16 12-Nov-13
He's almost got it already! but clicking here and casting a seventh vote should be a lock for the main page. 21:21 18-Nov-13
edit Change summary
Are you indeed drunk? This can be embarrassing. Any Admin can give you a protective website block, to keep you from really embarrassing yourself until you can get some coffee into you tomorrow. It is always effective, except when I type "days" rather than "hours." 02:32 15-Nov-13
- LOL...I take it the jokes should only be in the article itself. :PChunkles (talk) 02:52, November 15, 2013 (UTC)
- Well, there was an incident earlier this year where a user did indeed edit while drunk, so we just needed to make sure this wasn't a repeat of that. For now, jokes should be left to the article itself. Also, just so you know, joke categories are something to be avoided in general also, per community consensus. -- 05:33, November 15, 2013 (UTC)
Your addition is good. However, your strategy is irony, and your use of
strikethrough makes the page look less encyclopedic, and tips your hand as well. I think it's preferable to use a deadpan voice and present facts so clear that the reader will be sucked in until the moment he realizes that the exact opposite is true. 22:59 17-Nov-13
edit A place for rough drafts
Can I create rough drafts of new, unfinished articles where they can't be judged until they're "ready"? I have a couple ideas for new articles I'd like to write, but I would like to not have to write the whole thing almost all at once again. (Edit to add the signature I forgot. Whoops, sorry!) Chunkles (talk) 03:00, December 10, 2013 (UTC)
- Absolutely; your entire (infinite) userspace, for example, User:Chunkles/Total crap, is available for such experimentation. Anything goes there except stuff like porno and cyberbullying. Stuff you put in mainspace is not officially "judged," but everything in mainspace is subject to the opinions and unwanted collaboration of other Uncyclopedians. 03:12 10-Dec-13
edit Guard animals
When you move this to mainspace, lowercase the "a" as shown above (Wikipedia/Uncyclopedia style). Also, you rebut PETA and say that guard animals eat less expensive food than human guards. But I believe you are neglecting to consider old humans who eat dog food too.03:39 26-Jan-14
- Thanks for the tips! I'll find a way to work in that bit about the old humans. Chunkles (talk) 08:03, January 26, 2014 (UTC)
- Aaaaaand now it's moved (remembering your lowercase "a" suggestion). :) Chunkles (talk) 08:13, January 26, 2014 (UTC)
edit Good Morning Sir!
- You are remiss! he is a featured author!
- Nice to meet you too! Btw, the "featured author" thing is just a side effect; I just like reading and writing funny stuff. :) Chunkles (talk) 01:45, January 27, 2014 (UTC)