From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, Arctangent, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
- What you can do
You can create your own article. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:Arctangent/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
Here are some pages that might help you:
- Beginner's Guide
- Help pages
- Our vanity policies: Why we don't want articles about your friends, and probably not about your school
- And, if you need to learn what is funny, what is not, and what seems funny except that it's been tried a hundred times here already, read "How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid."
- For personal help
- The administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will watch this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read it and tell you how to improve it.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice them.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!11:52 29-Mar-13
Hello, welcome, and thanks for this contribution!11:52 29-Mar-13
edit Modus tollens
Alongside modus ponens (Latin for "method of putting in," like one's two cents), there is modus tollens ("method of taking out"). This natural symmetry is based on the philosophical postulate that "Whatever goes up must come down."
Modus tollens takes the following canonical form:
- P → Q
- Not Q
- Not P
- ∴ Nah, never mind.
The reader can keep this in mind whenever he puts in his two cents but decides he'd rather have them back in his pocket.
Use or adapt the above if you want; otherwise, don't. Separately, of course you can vote for your own article. As you see in the front matter of VFH, you are suddenly able to nominate your own "work," a subtle but disastrous rule change by which Aleister says I nailed down an awkwardly high feature count for 2012. Previously one had to belong to cliques.01:12 31-Mar-13
- Hello, and welcome. Nice work, and I will give you two thumbs up something on your feature nomination. Yes, Spike had the most features here in 2012, and deservedly so. He beat out some good competition to do so. You could nom your own articles, but only after they had gone through pee review and were improved from whence they came. Aleister 8:55 31-3-'13
Lol, I know about modus tollens and modus ponens. Philosophy is my thing, haha. I'll write an article later, I like your structure. Thanks for the input! Arctangent (talk) 06:42, March 31, 2013 (UTC)
- I just realized, you weren't trying to explain it to me, you were giving me potential content for the article. I see! Okay, I'll add it now.Arctangent (talk) 06:44, March 31, 2013 (UTC)
- As you have done. I admire your concern to add enough explanation so that the reader knows what it is we're making fun of; this helps everyone get the joke. However, is including the actual canonical form too dry and symbolic? Does it break the flow? My concept of the joke was: As well as using symbolic logic to pwn your counterpart, you can also use it to abandon a train of thought whenever expedient! My concept was not: Look what cute stuff we've done to the canonical form of modus tollens--more of an inside joke despite trying to remedy it. Similarly, I used the word "Not" rather than a symbol for a better segue into "Nah." (This is not a formal "collaboration," and the approach is entirely up to you.) 12:23 31-Mar-13
- A skillful compromise, sir! 19:17 31-Mar-13
Your Modus ponens got a 9-0 vote (which is a ton of votes, these days) and has just been selected to run on the Uncyclopedia main page! Congratulations! 19:47 6-Apr-13
- Awesome! It was definitely a very warm welcome to this site!Arctangent (talk) 06:58, April 7, 2013 (UTC)
Here is one more, and belated: You now have
Autopatrolled, which will make your edits stop showing up at Special:RecentChanges with an exclamation point inviting special scrutiny from our overnight vandal patrol. You should see no difference. 10:59 7-Apr-13
- I'm certainly no troll, though it is admittedly sometimes difficult to tell the difference between genuine humour and trollish humour on this site :) Arctangent (talk) 11:11, April 7, 2013 (UTC)
There are all types here--and at all stages of refinement. Cheers!11:14 7-Apr-13
This article is brilliant! Please come back and write more like this! I think it's worth featuring, and am going to nominate it on VFH. You can, and should vote on it here. Sir Reverend P. Pennyfeather (fancy a chat?) CUN VFH PLS 12:11, June 6, 2013 (UTC)
- It is now featured, and will probably stay on the main page for another day or two. It achieved one of the best VFH scores in a while (10.5), well done. Sir Reverend P. Pennyfeather (fancy a chat?) CUN VFH PLS 14:08, June 13, 2013 (UTC)
edit Hello There!!
ScottPat here, just came to say that I noticed your new article you are writing, Brain in a vat. Like your previous articles it is coming on splendidly and will no doubt be your next feature. Have you considered submitting it for the PLS competition though where it can compete against the greatest to acheive the ultimate prise? Just a thought. Sir ScottPat (talk) VFH UnS NotM WotM WotY 18:24, June 26, 2013 (UTC)