From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
edit Welcome to Uncyclopedia
Hello, Amitarbel, and welcome to Uncyclopedia. This is a wiki (a collection of pages anyone can edit). Words in blue are "links" and can be clicked to take you to another page. This wiki is for comedy. It pretends it's Wikipedia, but we make people laugh, not bore them. If you aren't interested in a fake encyclopedia but in writing fake news stories, we have UnNews, and there are other projects for scripts, lyrics, how-to guides, and so on.
- What you can do
You can create your own article. For starters, create it under your own name; for example, User:Amitarbel/Bedbug. (The red instead of blue is a link to a page that doesn't yet exist.) We have a list of articles that need to be created. You can help without writing articles; just read articles and, if you see an improvement in writing or in comedy, jump in and edit it. In fact, you can help without writing at all, such as organizing, watching for vandals, or even greeting other new users.
- What you need
To write articles, you need a sense of humor and an ability to write good English. We all have strengths and weaknesses and you can get help in any area. But everyone needs an ability to work with other people. Be polite, positive, and helpful toward others, and assume others are doing the same toward you.
- What to read
Here are some pages that might help you:
- Beginner's Guide
- Help pages
- Our vanity policies: Why we don't want articles about your friends, and probably not about your school
- And, if you need to learn what is funny, what is not, and what seems funny except that it's been tried a hundred times here already, read "How To Be Funny And Not Just Stupid."
- For personal help
- The administrators are willing to help you, and several Uncyclopedians are willing to adopt you.
- I will watch this page for a while and will know if you edit it. Afterward, you can contact me on my own talk page.
- If you've written an article, we have a Proofreading service where someone will correct your mistakes, and a review process where an experienced Uncyclopedian will read your article and suggest improvements.
- How to post to talk pages
Please follow these general rules:
- Add comments at the end of a talk page so people notice them.
- Start your paragraphs with one or more : characters to indent them and set them off from other people's posts.
- At the end, type ~~~~ (four tildes), which gets replaced by your user name and the current date and time.
- Don't delete anyone's messages. In case of any controversy, we depend on an accurate record of what was written. You may disavow your remarks by
striking them through like this.
I hope you enjoy it here and write a lot of funny stuff!21:27 16-Nov-13
edit Israeli encyclopedia
Hello and welcome! A Mister Mctomerd11, apparently one of your Admins over there, recently asked about interchange of texts at User talk:Romartus, where I kibitzed. If you are here with the same motive: You don't need our permission, but do keep us advised of your plans. For example, an article brought here from the Israeli site might need its English made smoother. Cheers! 21:27 Ah! going back further in RecentChanges, I see you are already working together! 21:30 16-Nov-13
How can I create a new value?Israeli Eincyclopdedia and Uncyclopedia. 13:54, November 17, 2013 (UTC)
- I don't understand the meaning of the word "value" here.
- I meant "article".Israeli Eincyclopdedia and Uncyclopedia. 15:06, November 17, 2013 (UTC)
- If you simply try to call up a nonexistent article, a link in the response will give you the option of creating the page. However, I would discourage this, as we refer to it as "navelism" (as in staring at one's navel = belly-button). The audience is necessarily not our audience but simply ourselves. 15:34 17-Nov-13
- At the risk of giving you an Edit Conflict, let me continue. A better option for documenting Eincyclopedia is in our existing article on Israel (after you inevitably spend some time putting it in better shape), surely in a new section on Culture. 15:36 17-Nov-13
- Can I create this article? Israeli Eincyclopdedia and Uncyclopedia. 16:03, November 17, 2013 (UTC)
- You may; can you? (The preceding is a tiny English lesson that virtually no American gets right.) As an author whom I expect to have "a dog in the dogfight," please keep the tone light and cheerful (perhaps absurdly so). 16:10 17-Nov-13
- I am not a Brit deprecating Americans but an American with a bit of self-deprecation. Okay, let's see what you've got.
- Amitarbel: Can you add a signature after each line as it's not obvious who is responding to SPIKE. I am a Brit btw and I am very polite!!--RomArtus*Imperator ITRA (Orate) ® 14:17, November 18, 2013 (UTC)
- Indeed, my member of the tea. Israeli Eincyclopdedia and Uncyclopedia. 15:25, November 18, 2013 (UTC)