|This article was nominated for deletion on June 16, 2016.
The result of the discussion was Unanimous consent to apply edits in place.
Objections from Parish CouncilEdit
I have been asked to remove this page by Stradbroke Parish council but am not being allowed to do it. They feel it is unfunny, offensive and doesn't represent the village well. The history includes bullying of one of our employees and we would like all trace of this removed. I have tried to edit this page but have been called a vandal and crap - so that's helpful. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Parish Clerk (talk • contribs)
- This is a comedy Wiki, articles are not written to promote a village, sentiment, tourism or anything else for that matter, it is to make people laugh. Humour is subjective, if Stradbroke Parish Council do not have a sense of humour, then they should waste their time browsing other websites... the "Suffolk Gazette" springs to mind. 07:21, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
You have a point - however if you check the history administrators themselves agreed that this website was being used to carry our a personal vendetta and included cyber bullying - if you think that is funny then fine, but we don't. A lesson for the people who typed before engaging their brain - insults on the internet stay on the internet. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Parish Clerk (talk • contribs)
- I'm afraid no one gets away with it (my old home town is Harrogate and I did not show mercy!). What we do not condone is cyber-bullying, if you can indicate where an individual is exposed, I will edit it with pleasure. You can edit it too, but it is not right that you put your opinion in the article. It is a matter of courtesy. 07:30, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
If you check through the history there is reference to a "Village Mascot" - it is removed as it is considered cyberbullying of the "janitor", you will also see a reference to a vendetta (administrators words following an edit) if the history which clearly identifies these people by name can be deleted that would go some way to showing that this website does care about cyber bullying. These references may not be on the front page, but I found them and I am not that computer savvy - so I assume anyone can.—The preceding unsigned comment was added by Parish Clerk (talk • contribs)
- I don't think we can remove history, that is part of the core software and is required as a record of edits for legal purposes. What the history indicates is that there was a feeling among the admin that cyberbullying was the intention and it was amended. That's not to say the article itself isn't crap! I do think it is ranty and is focused on the Council, but when people are looking at what we have to say about everywhere else and everybody else, we cannot set precedents. What you could have done is go to Votes for Deletion, where I probably would vote to delete it, then it is gone. What would be even better is if it was re-written by someone that loves the town, lampooning it in a clever and funny way, which does not lead to offense. 07:45, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
- I can do it, but am tempted to re-write it myself. Are you a member of the Parish Council that has a got log in for the purposes of dealing with this, or do you intend to write here? Would you like to collaborate in slow time on a new article on Stradbroke? If so, I can move it out of the mainspace immediately and start over. P.S. you sign your posts with a date stamp, by either pressing the signature button, second from right at the top of the edit box, or by typing four tildes (wiggly lines above the hash key). 07:58, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
I work for the parish council and registered purely to try and get rid of this. As you can tell there was some unpleasantness at the time only one side has chosen this medium though. I don't want to be write anything - I have been asked to try and remove the page as it clearly is a one sided vendetta. If you could VFD that would be good and we could then move on. --Parish Clerk (talk) 08:03, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
- Okay, we explicitly do not remove articles due to offense, satire is what it is and is worth defending. I will post on VFD however, because the article is crap, has no pictures and focused on the Council. Alternatively, I could rename it Stradbroke Council instead! 08:11, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
Don't do that - that will really stir things up. I just want it deleted so no one can find reference to the "Mascot" - he's a lovely man and didn't deserve the ridicule at all.--Parish Clerk (talk) 08:15, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
- I was joking... it is on VFD now. 08:27, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
Very funny ! And thank you for your help...... maybe I'll have a go one day at being witty - my children laugh at me everyday so maybe I am funnier than I think!--Parish Clerk (talk) 08:32, June 16, 2016 (UTC)
- To confirm: (1) This is a humor website and we are not here to provide the Council's version of anything but take irreverent shots at it. (2) Blanking a page because of disagreement with its content is an offence usually leading to withdrawal of editing privileges for a time. Inserting into an article editing instructions to other Uncyclopedians is an approach that never makes the article funnier and can also lead to a ban. (3) Our official policy is that articles must not personally identify anyone not famous enough to have an article on Wikipedia, and any Admin will be happy to remove such content. (4) A Google search will no longer produce that content, but use of the History feature will. You are entitled to ask that an article not contain certain content but not to ask that it never have been done.
- Anonymous and "new" users cannot vote by editing the VFD page. As your criterion is not comedy, I would rather you not vote but leave it to established Uncyclopedians to decide the disposition of the page. As EStop has some good ideas, you are in good hands. Meanwhile, Britain must have a few better career options than to spend time agitating regarding the treatment of the village by amateur comedians on the Internet. 11:52 16-Jun-16
Eye? Ear? Nose? Calls for a parody map, as in Isle of Man! 15:55 19-Jun-16
- Good call! I'll get on it. Do we need to cover the village's desperate search for new idiot, after a rare vegetable accident in the history section? 16:11, June 19, 2016 (UTC)
- Could you do me a huge favour and spork the table with the map and pic from the Wikipedia entry for me please Spike? I'm not good enough at coding to convert it. 16:21, June 19, 2016 (UTC)
- I added text to the one at Isle of Man. Unfortunately, Wikipedia's map has no legends at all and I can't even tell where the town is. Whereas the map on the town website is too busy for a good parody, but was instructive that there are only two ways to get there, both involving B highways with incredibly large numbers. I parlayed this into a couple more sentences in the Intro but that's as funny as I can make it, so far. Separately, the music festival belongs in Things to do but there would be clutter in the photos; perhaps Marshmallow Fluff deserves to go away. Village Idiot might be too generic; I don't see anything real to hang it off. 16:31 19-Jun-16
- Okay, have uploaded a novelty map. I could be further cropped but as it is it shows the Norfolk and Essex borders. 16:59, June 19, 2016 (UTC)
- I couldn't do any better than that! Tellingly, it shows no particular roadway on which to get there, a fact I have now suggested in the Intro. 17:11 19-Jun-16