From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Enya article.
|This article was nominated for deletion on February 21, 2007.
The result of the discussion was 'Keep'.
edit Is this vandalism?
Take a look at the recent edit that basically emasculated the whole article; should I revert this? Pentium5dot1 04:42, 19 February 2007 (UTC)
- Never mind; see User talk:BennetHarrison for an explanation. Pentium5dot1 01:05, 20 February 2007 (UTC)
the only reason I did that because everyone in the official enya forum were furious when they knew this page. and I didn't know what to do because I'm a member of that forum and I use Uncyclopedia links as my signature. (and I love to keep it) I just don't want they hate me as they hate Uncyclopedia =(. BennetHarrison 16:28, 20 February 2007 (UTC)
- What exactly is the official Enya forum furious about? Is it simply the offensiveness of the humor (like everything else on Uncyclopedia), or is it a particular copyvio (which seems to be taken from Wikipedia)? I'm going to fork the current version to my userspace and put the article up for VFD with an explanation of the situation.
If the article needs to be deleted more urgently than that, then see QVFD or email an administrator.There is no consensus for deletion (yet); one reputable user at the VFD discussion seems to be opposed. If there are Enya fans who are still offended, have them contact the appropriate Uncyc admins. Pentium5dot1 00:33, 21 February 2007 (UTC)
edit Instructions/suggestions for rewrite
- If you are reading this comment and have not yet seen the VFD discussion on this article, please go there for an explanation of why the article needs rewriting.
- Try to incorporate some discussion of the "New Age" aspect of Enya's music; i.e., say that it is very relaxing but that public opinions are mixed, and incorporate the usual mystical conspiracy theories.
- For guidance, the original wikitext of the article (at the time I started the VFD proceedings) can be found at User:Pentium5dot1/Storage facility/Enya.
--Pentium5dot1 09:15, 21 February 2007 (UTC)
edit From Pee Review
- Oops, forgot the usual boilerplate: If it was not clear from reading the above links, I did not create this article. Pentium5dot1 01:54, 25 February 2007 (UTC)
|Humour:||4||Kind of the minimum reccomended allowance of humor here. The "doomcore folk metal" concept is good, and the funniest aspect would be the picture captions. Beyond that, though... well it's basically obscured by the prose (see below); I rate it lower than a 5 for this reason.|
|Concept:||5||Once again, "doomcore" says it all. What is really needed to bolster the strength of this would be some earnest-sounding quotes from Enya herself about how she hates life and "the system" with a passion, plus a couple incidents emphasizing this. (But still more "goth" than "emo" would work.) It should become like the Wikipedia article for Kittie or whatever.|
|Prose and formatting:||3||The chief problem is inconsistency; is she female or not? The whole "she's a man" joke doesn't really hold up long, especially since there's not much about her to make one think "masculine", so the pronouns themselves simply don't hold up. I'd say the approach should be: consistent "rocking out punk-core woman." Readers can really only handle one major contradiction at a time, otherwise our heads are swimming, you know? It would be the same thing if the article said "Enya is an alien who plays the theremin" -- at some point, we have pure nonsense instead of an isolated, funny contradiction.|
|Images:||6||The images themselves are obviously banal (but they don't have to be anything else). The captions are what really makes this article (although I'm about to take the liberty of modifying them somewhat anyway).|
|Miscellaneous:||10||Still don't know what this is for, so it's a "N/A" here.|
|Final Score:||28||A lot of work is still needed to make this more encyclopedic and the gag subtle enough to work. This should probably go through the review process again even after it has seen some of the basic edits needed to bring it up to an acceptable level. Hopefully, even her most enduring fans should be able to appreciate this article, but for its absurdity and not "Enya sucks".|
|Reviewer:||Lenoxus 19:35, 25 February 2007 (UTC)|
I don't have the satirical skills to do the requisite fix/rewrite myself. Renominate for VFD maybe?</cynicism> Pentium5dot1 02:03, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
edit Cyberbully at work
See "controversy" edit history
IP 220.127.116.11 has begun using this article to attack a mod at the enya forum, thus ruining whatever funny stuff was here.
Someone else edited "kerry an idiot" out, but I think this bully should do his bullying somewhere else and not ruin our fun here.
- Is semi-protection called for? What about deleting or oversighting the offending revisions? --Pentium5dot1 22:41, 27 April 2008 (UTC)
I took the liberty of redirecting the 'Orinoco Flow' link to WP for the moment as I feel it would offend Enya fans in its present form. Though, the idea that it could refer to Womble reproductive habits certainly has potential... <g> --Lantash 20:43, April 4, 2010 (UTC)
edit South Park
There is a hilarious South Park clip where Stan's grandfather, who wants Stan to assist him in suicide, says to Stan:
|This is what it's like to be old|
— and brings Stan into a pitch black closet and turns Orinoco Flow on, and Stan comes out 30 seconds later and remarks on how horrible an experience that was for him. Would anyone consider adding this?--|(get dtf) 21:46, August 19, 2014 (UTC)
- Doesn't excite me, as this isn't us writing comedy, but cataloguing stuff done elsewhere (namely, Enya being ridiculed). If you think Enya is ridiculous/loathsome, it would be better to say it in an original and clever (but encyclopedic) way. 21:53 19-Aug-14