Worcester (pronounced "Woo-ster"), also known locally as "Wu, Glorious Wu", is a city and high-street consumer colony of Worcestershire, in the West Middle countryside of England. Often overshadowed by its noisy neighbour Birmingham, Worcester is mother to a brand of porcelain, Worcestershire sauce, and a Royal brothel, and was the setting for the blockbusting grand finale of the English Civil War.
Worcester is twinned with the Vatican City, due to its importance to the Catholic faith as the site where a virgin swan laid a clutch of eggs, which Pope Boniface IV ate in an omelette. The eggs were later depicted in a series of works commissioned by the Vatican and painted by religious artist Salvador Dali. (more...)
Yesterday's Featured Article -
Did you know...
- ...that the Angel of Death is after you? (pictured)
- ...that Iran is all set to invade itself?
- ...that the phrase "¡Ay Chihuahua!" can be used to mean both "no, I don't have any bathtub cheese" and "yes, I have a great deal of bathtub cheese"?
- ...that condoms prevent many sexually transmitted diseases, and at least one erection?(sorry Candace)
- ...that in a world where movie trailers are crucial to a film's success... one man will provide his voice in innumerable trailers?
- ...that wearing a Top Hat is not only a sound fashion choice, it gives you somewhere to hide candy?
- ...that if we used a language without homonyms, a certain type of pun would be impossible, and thereby much gaiety would be lost?
On this day...
October 29: National Ignorance Awareness Day /International Rescue Day (Thunderbirds are Go!)
/ Ramadan ends
- 1497 - Did something happen on this day?
- 1576 - Rolf Harris invents the wobble board and didgeridoo. Chaos ensues
- 1675 - Leibniz makes the first use of the long s, ∫, for integral. 315 years later I have to take calculus. Thanks, man. Thanks a fucking lot.
- 1782 - God gets up, has a slice of toast, then decides it's all too much bother and goes to bed again for 500 years.
- 1929 - The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or Black Tuesday, beginning the Great Depression. I think that was like, when, everyone got really unhappy for a long time.
- 1969 - The first-ever computer-to-computer link is established on ARPANET, the precursor to the Internet. It is used to send porn.
- 1955 - Mother Brown gets me Dog And Bone.
- 1957 - Comma, used innappropriately, millions giggle.
- 1972 - President Richard Nixon declares that he is addicted to the word "Declares".
- 1985 - Howard The Duck, dude. Howard The Duck.
- 1990 - Rolf Harris brainwashes an audience in Melbourne with his filthy basslines on his didgeridoo. Further chaos ensues
- 1998 - Space Shuttle Discovery blasts-off with 77-year old John Glenn on board, making him the oldest person to go into space. He bores astronauts by telling them about how in his day, they didn't have astronaut ice cream, and there were no zero-G toilets, they just had to hold it in the entire mission.
- 2002 - Ozone linked to Al-Quada, President Bush vows to increase carbon dioxide outputs as USA leads the way in the War on Terra.
- 2007 - Rolf Harris returns and formally founds dubstep. Even more Chaos ensues
- 2009 - Pam Anderson's breasts become self aware.
- 2113 - Reality TV goes too far as God, Allah & Budda duke it out in a Pay-Per-View event billed as "The Gods Must Be Crazy". World ends soon after.