Forum:Would writing an article about the israel-lebanon conflict be inappropriate at this time?
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
things seem pretty damn sensitive...is it right to start making fun of it now, or should we wait until it clears? --User:Cigaro Cubano/sig
I don't want it to be one of those standard "war" articles where they just reference random crap
and say "the year 3000 ad lol oprah". I hate that. User:Cigaro Cubano/sig
- No, but your sig would be. --Keitei 16:37, 17 July 2006 (UTC)
Just leave it alone!.. Making fun of something that is so real and so bad, is just not in good taste by any means!
it's homage to italy, ok? i happen to be happy that they won the world cup (and won me $500)...this is the team colors. --User:Cigaro Cubano/sig
- I say we should make fun of EVERYTHING no matter how tasteless because that is what humour is for. It's meant to make light of things that would otherwise be horrendously tragic, for example: George W Bush, Mental Instability, Deformed Children, Naked Grandmothers, Rectal Thermometers Which Break, Hitler, and of course That PETA video where they skin those raccoons alive.--Mindsunwound: (NS) Pantsu Getta! There 22:49, 17 July 2006 (UTC)
I was going to write an UnNews article after JonBenet Ramsey's mother died of ovarian cancer titled "Patsy Ramsey dies of ovarian cancer; ovaries deny any connection". I didn't because I had nothing beyond the headline, and I also had some moral qualms about it. But mostly it was writer's block. --02:23, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- We've even got a headline ready at the UnNews page ready to go. Just click on the link, and you're set. Wait, you're asking about ethics? I can't help you there. I'm Republican.-- 02:35, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
I should think this was absolutely the time to write an article on this subject, or any other particularly contentious subject that's in the news. But. It better be good. - David Gerard 08:01, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
I'm all for it, being a side of the conflict it's a sort of comforting that we can still use humor as means to survive. Sometimes it's just about the only thing that works around here. Oh, and make sure that in your article we win. Or we'll bomb your house. --08:04, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- Yeh, as long as you frame them as the bad ones we are ok with it. But don't worry, we will bomb you either way, we know where you hide those fithy Iranian rockets.---Asteroid B612 (aka Rataube) - Ñ 09:12, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- I've already done some stuff, consisting of UnNews:Palestinean plan to defeat Israel by capturing one soldier not going as planned and part of Arab-Israeli Conflict (video game). I think it's ripe for parody, because it's been going on for so long and is completely unsolvable. It's something the world will just have to live with forever, or at least for the next few thousand years or so until either the arabs and/or the jews die out, so we might as well have a laugh at its expense.
- As for the taste issue, we have jokes on here about the holocaust which is about the least funny thing I can think of, so I don't see what the problem is. I know that if someone who had survived the holocaust saw our articles on it they would be deeply offended, but they aren't the audience for those articles. For want of a better category, we're the audience. We're amusing ourselves, and shock humor is sometimes ok if it makes a point or has some other comedic value. It's a judgment call and it's difficult to make blanket statements.
- However, once again (as I have noted before, several times), if anyone finds an article here offensive, there's no law that says you have to read uncyclopedia. If you're offended by uncyc, don't read it. --Hrodulf 10:10, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
as per your remark about the "jews dying out" consider this your "Please vacate your house since the IDF will bomb it" notice. --
- Oh, come one! You know the Israelis don't stand a chance! What good are Blackhawks and Bullpups and Tavors against rocks and sticks?
P.S. you love my sig. --User:Cigaro Cubano/sig
- Mordillo: I was thinking long term, and didn't mean to offend. Every group of people, and the human race itself as a whole, has a finite life expectancy. It may be hundreds of years, thousands of years, tens of thousands of years, etc., but it's going to happen someday. Nothing lasts forever. I'm jewish, by the way (and the author of UnNews:Palestinean plan to defeat Israel by capturing one soldier not going as planned, for what it's worth, I did my best to parody both sides; not sure if I managed to do that well, or if I accomplished anything but angering everybody, but remember this is allegedly a comedy site). I just tend to ponder the infinite and have a pragmatic outlook. Nothing will survive the heat death of the universe. Not even the IDF.
- In any event, in all honesty, I sincerely believe that once the human race itself is extinct, if some other civilization or species ever comes across any evidence or remains of this particular period of time, they will marvel that we were able to master technology that allowed us to enter space, visit the moon, communicate across our planet instantly, and still couldn't figure out a rational way to resolve a pretty straightforward dispute over a relatively small parcel of land and the issue of political power, due to revenge fantasies and other outdated thinking. This is the reason for my comment that the only way for the war to end was for one of the sides to become extinct. What else can be the outcome, since both sides want political control over the same land? --Hrodulf 16:12, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- Even if a nyucular war were to render every person on both sides extinct and no life remained on the planet except for a few pesky bugs, we would probably still have UnNews:Arab and Israeli cockroaches battle for control of heavily-radioactive Middle East in wake of destruction of human race, no film at eleven. --Carlb 16:28, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
Yeah, but once heat death of the universe eventually occurred, there would be no life or matter or energy left. Even black holes would eventually disappear because of the bleeding of hawking radiation. Everything comes to an end, even existence itself, eventually. It just takes a long time. --Hrodulf 16:34, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
Hawking radiation is energy. Energy can become heat. So if the blackholes are all emitting Hawking radiation and this hawking radiation can become heat, whenever it interacts with something it should generate heat. so the heat death of the universe is impossible. this is why the Israelis are bombing Lebanon. The Palestinians and Lebanese continue to insist that the heat death of the universe is a possible and indeed probable outcome, whilst the Israelis maintain that the universe will end in a "cold life" --User:Cigaro Cubano/sig
- Perhaps true heat death is a physical impossibility, but we can get so close to it that life or matter as we know it does not exist.
- And I thought the fight was over which end of a hard-boiled egg should be broken, the big end or the little end.
- --Hrodulf 18:54, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- I wrote this so far-UnNews:Khalil Gibran wounded in Israeli Attack-- 19:11, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
Don't be so pessimistic. England and France had a war for over 100 years and now they are both peaceful and profiting partners at the European Union. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict will be solved in a few more years, or a few more dacades maximum. The Sirians and the Iranians will also calm down eventually, just as the Egyptians and Jordanians did. And about the universe and other races coming to see how stupid conflct we had inspite of our technology, well, maybe it's time for you to stop reading so much Golden Age Science Fiction... we will deal with the end of existence later on, now it's time to make wars or humor, or maybe a War on Humor.---Asteroid B612 (aka Rataube) - Ñ 20:33, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- I can only go based on what I've seen. And from what I've seen, Hamas and Hezbollah don't look like they want to share that land with Israel. And you can't bargain from that position. So I see no cause for optimism. If I thought the extremists were reasonable and their demands were negotiable, I'd be more optimistic. However, that isn't the case. I prefer to see myself as a realist rather than a pessimist, and not to believe in things that are impossible or unlikely.
- Well, the world as depicted in 2001:A Space Odyssey is completely fictional. Not much resemblence to the real 2001, either in terms of the politics or technology. It was a guess as to what the future could be like, and as a prediction it failed, but I'm not sure if Clarke and Kubrick really literally believed that their interpretation of things to come was correct or even likely to happen. I'm a bit confused about the HAL being staff thing though; I've always said anyone who wanted to take a try at answering a question is welcome to, however. --Hrodulf 22:34, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- To me, anything is fair game to be made fun of as far as I can tell. I think I'll ask Judge Mills Lane, who is also a referee. "I'll allow it!" Well he said he would allow it, good enough for me. --2nd_Lt Orion Blastar (talk) 03:14, 19 July 2006 (UTC)
- Hooray for poor taste! Uncyclopedia, the only place where we can joke about . . . . everything. --Hrodulf 05:18, 19 July 2006 (UTC)
Sorry for the belated response, I was busy dodging rockets. No worries mate, I wasn't offended. Actually the "Old World" conflicts is a good example for wars eventually calming down, and the Arab-Israeli is still, in the eyes of history, quite young. Unfortunatly this conflict is primarly based on religious issues which might lengthen it considerably. I do believe that in the end it will be solved and we can all
leave live thogether, albeit it'll probably take long and kill too many people in the process....-- 10:32, 19 July 2006 (UTC)
I can't think of a better time to write an article on this. Just try to make it funny, and not a shitty attempt to push propaganda from either side. Choady 10:36, 19 July 2006 (UTC) I'll start on it today. Anyone want to collaborate with me? --User:Cigaro Cubano/sig
already some articles on...check out the UnNews section...--16:05, 19 July 2006 (UTC)
I am Lebanese and I would like to say... No, it isnt inappropraite. The page on lebanon really cracked me up. Make it funny, make fun of everyone. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs)
Make it so! Maketh my day.
Hi, I am Orion Blastar, I have the humor tastes of such greats like Andy Kaufman and Mel Brooks, so I contributed to Arab-Israeli Conflict (video game) ever since I read this forum article. If you don't like it, you can go Fuck Uncyclopedia because we are supposed to write about news, wars, and other events and not play any favoritism. The above thread comment contributor is anonymous and Lebanese, well I guess then it sucks to be him/her when the Arab-Israeli Conflict (video game) is written on anyway. You know what, there are articles that offend me here, and my religion, race, views, etc, but I learned how to take it and laugh. If you are easily offended, guess what? Nobody cares if you are offended, not even Allah and Mohammed care what you think, or else they'd wipe out Uncyclopedia for being too funny about stuff you care about. Get a sense of humor, and remember Don't Be Stupid. --2nd_Lt Orion Blastar (talk) 19:08, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
Who are you talking to?21:17, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
- Apparently the voices in my head. :) Nope, just talking to all of those opposed to writing the Arab-Israeli Conflict (video game) article anyway, like the anonymous user who claims to be from Lebanon. --2nd_Lt Orion Blastar (talk) 21:43, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
The forces of darkness obviously --21:23, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
- Forces of darkness, Lebanese, same difference. --2nd_Lt Orion Blastar (talk) 21:43, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
Fair enough. Tell them hi from me. My girlfriend's probably with them too, tell her to come home and cook my tea.21:26, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
- I will do, apparently she was having a threesome with Darth Vader and Saddam Hussein via some darkside dating site she got into behind your back. Since I am busy talking to the darkside, I'll telepathically send her a message. If she has an interest in you still, maybe she'll come home. I cannot say, I can only pass on the message. --2nd_Lt Orion Blastar (talk) 21:43, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
Thanks, I can never remember her mobile number.21:47, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
- Well she wouldn't be darkside dating if you didn't treat her like a slave in the first place. "Woman, come home and get into the kitchen and cook me some tea!" No wonder she is cheating on you. :) --2nd_Lt Orion Blastar (talk) 23:04, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
I put something about the Israeli-Lebanon conflict on my userpage. -- 16:36, 27 September 2006 (UTC)
- hezbollah are sexy --Kill all wikis 20:01, 30 September 2006 (UTC)