Forum:Should we move back to uncyclopedia.org?
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Revision as of 19:05, July 27, 2012 by Hotadmin4u69
i propose this due to several things;
- The recent log in fuck up locking out over half of uncyclopedia's active users
- and no, wikia won't help us.
So what is your opinion? let's decide.
LOOS3R!08:19, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Spiritual For but Against Not actually possible due to a number of factors but I concur in the fact that I'm sick to fucking death of wikia's fail. 08:22, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- I'd fucking love to, but unless one of you wants to blow the owner of a large datacenter in exchange for free hosting...
- Oh, and also #blamewikia on twitter. That is all.
- Strong against. Honestly, technical issues happen. We have a paid staff of technical consultants who work around the clock to resolve issues. We pay nothing for hosting. You're proposing that we would possibly need to buy the rights to host Uncyclopedia. We would definitely need to pay for hosting elsewhere, and establish technical staff. If we relied on volunteer staff, we would have a reduction in their capacity. We've been lucky to have people like Villaj, BB, Spang, Lyrithya, and to some small extent myself on board in the past. There is no way in hell I would choose to be a full time technician on this site without being paid - even doing the admin stuff that I have been doing recently takes me away from writing. We have no funds, and we have hosting and technical support for no cost, and ad free. With the last issue in relationship to logging in, they dropped everything and had it resolved in less than 48 hours, even though it meant working from the ground up to try and resolve what the issue was, and kept us in the loop as changes happened. As much as I like to cry "Wikia sux" on the odd occasion, we're lucky to have them on our side. • Puppy's talk page • 08:59 26 Jul
- I completely agree. Heck, Wikia were even so good as to garble the database in the first place, so that we could have something to bitch and whine and moan and complain at them about. Where else can you get service like that?
- How the fuck is that signature supposed to identify you in any way at all?
- For.-- 09:12, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Should we this, should we that I'm getting sick of this. No more forums about Wikia. (Feed me!) 09:31, 26 July, 2012 (UTC)
- Agreed --Lord Scofield Stark 12:36, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Abstain. It's true that Wikia do frequently fuck things up to the extent where it's irreconcilable but as already said above, if noone has the time, money, technical knowledge etc. to move back to the original domain and manage the site then as gay as it is, Wikia may be our only option. Sir Georgie • Harangue • Mediocracy 13:30, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Against. Per everything Puppy said. Also, let's say this admin login thing happened and we weren't part of Wikia. I'm sure it would have taken much longer for the issue to be fixed. But, there's no point of having this vote anyway. It's never gonna happen. -- 13:38, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Only when we've found a better alternative. Which isn't the case right now, though given Wikia's proneness of fucking up big time, it shouldn't be that hard to find something better. GUN SotM UotM PMotM UotY PotM WotM 13:41, 26 July 2012
- AGAINST Puppy hit the nail so hard on the head, it's just surfaced in Bristol. mAttlobster. (hello) 13:49, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Whatever (Ruins) 14:02, 26 July 2012
- Though I very much agree that Wikia sucks, if you recall, Uncyc.org was shut down many times due to bugs in the server (Roberto anyone?) which is also why Illogicopedia has lost activity. So I abstain until we have a better alternative. ~[ths] UotM 23:42, 07/26/2012
- For, but only if we get off the internet entirely. 00:02, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Spiritual for. There is a technical way to "hide" the actual domain name of a website, and this is used in the Wikimedia websites. For example, when you ping en.wikipedia.org in a shell window, it shows as wikipedia-lb.eqiad.wikimedia.org. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to mask uncyclopedia.wikia.com under en.uncyclopedia.org or en.uncyc.org. -- 01:40, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
- I don't understand the question. "Move back to uncyc.org"? The site was never located at uncyc.org. Our original URL was uncyclopedia.org. That domain was sold to Wikia along with the rest of the site by chronarion, and then a few years back Wikia decided to make that URL a redirect and move our wiki to uncyclopedia.wikia.com (causing several users to leave the site, also there was an admin strike iirc). We cannot move back to uncyclopedia.org because Wikia want their name in our domain (marketing purposes or something). So the question makes no sense. -- 02:14, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Do you not understand the difference between a domain name and webhosting? What the fuck does this topic even mean? "Move back to 'uncyc.org'," do you think if you change the domain name a webhost powerful enough to keep the site online will magically appear out of thin fucking air? What the fuck am I reading?
- Abstain. I don't know nearly enough about 1) Who actually owns Uncyclopedia; 2) Who was hosting it before; 3) How much it would cost to move to a new host. (Can anyone answer these questions? Seriously, what would it cost us to leave Wikia? $500 a month? $5,000 a month? $50,000 a month?) 02:43, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Abstain. You could run a shit server and buy a domain for very little money and lots and lots of time and effort. But Wikia isn't going to sell the uncyclopedia.org for an amount that any of us can afford. --Hotadmin4u69 [TALK] 19:05 Jul 27 2012