Many hells and hellos to you all,
As you may had heard, the Stop Online Piracy Act is right now under the U.S. Congress review. The Stop Online Piracy Act, or S(L)OPA(BITCH), is an act in which once passed, will require a censorship tool similar to that of the Great Firewall of China, which is seen behind me. This is a serious matter, because we have some copyrighted material. SOPA is designed to block websites that have copyrighted content, which means loss of advertising, and then afterwards, shutting down of websites. This act can easily be abused by anyone to get money when they don't need it.
So, as protest, I got a good idea: as a protest against this heinous bill, why not blank every page? Admins, this is also an important message to you because Uncyclopedia is your home. We must fight to protect this, and remember that even our enemy Wikipedia, ruled by evil dictator Jimbo Wales, is against this bill. We will unite with Wikipedia to end this bill!
- I already signed the petition against it. Twice. Everybody else should too. ~[ths] UotM 20:07, 12/28/2011
- Well, considering that Anonymous would probably drop a nuke if this passed, true. 10:01, December 29, 2011 (UTC)
- @Joe I already redirect my userpage to Nihilism. The SOPA act must DIE! (I prefer sofas to sopas anyway.) ~[ths] UotM 01:08, 12/30/2011
- Guys, we'll settle this the democratic way: A vote. |Si Plebius Dato' (Sir) Joe ang Kyurem CUN|IC Kill | 10:17, January 4, 2012 (UTC)
Voat for protest of SOPA
OK Guys, we have three choices. The choice with the most votes will be presented to the admins. This will serve as both a joke and a protest against SOPA. SOPA is an SOB(A). |Si Plebius Dato' (Sir) Joe ang Kyurem CUN|IC Kill | 10:17, January 4, 2012 (UTC)
Completely Censored Uncyclopedia?
Any images will be replaced with black, words will be censored to the point that it makes good humor.
- For. Although we should be careful not to overdo it. We could do it for a few days during the so-called vote in Congress, but we would need an "opt-out" thing like we did with April Fools' stuff. -- Sir "TheSlyPony" Invariably certifiable. 16:55 January 4, 2012 (UTC)
Paint Uncyclopedia Black?
This will have Uncyclopedia be full of black. Clicking anywhere will lead to the American Censorship website.
Fake US Govt. image declaring "This site has been taken down due to violations of the Stop Online Piracy Act"
- With similar livery to the image used for ICE takedowns - clicking the image should go to an on-wiki page explaining it and linking to an anti-SOPA activism website. (ICE looks like this) -- 08:41, January 6, 2012 (UTC)
- JA, I propose! |Si Plebius Dato' (Sir) Joe ang Kyurem CUN|IC Kill | 08:24, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
Very confused users, huh?
If the point is to defeat censorship, and the solutions are to blank every page or turn it black (a bot could reverse all those in, say, ten seconds), isn't that censoring everything? It's like a wife being abused by her husband, so she shoots herself to death ("That'll teach him"). Anyway, the common sense out of the way, if the act passes what I think will happen is someone - even wikia - can get an immediate judicial restraining order, then lengthy court cases will follow as it goes up to the Supreme Court, etc. And I've been told to get around the U.S. act you just have to move the site to somewhere where creativity is still legal. Maybe I've heard wrong or am thinking wrong. So I'll now censor all my pages with a big red X through them, that should stop the censorship act cold. Aleister 19:35 4-1-'12
- No, this is designed as a protest against censorship. Wikipedia blanked their website as protest, and now they found a new hosting site. And even Australia is doomed now. |Si Plebius Dato' (Sir) Joe ang Kyurem CUN|IC Kill | 04:04, January 5, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks to you I've researched the response of Jimmy Wales, Facebook, etc., and agree that we should join the blackout if it comes to that. Thanks for bringing it up in the forum, and "fighting" for it. This forum is kind of messed up now, sloppy and all, maybe you can make a clearer section of voting, such as "We should follow the lead of wikipedia, google, and facebook if and when an internet strike is called." Something like that. Thanks again. Aleister 12:31 5-1-'12
History is just repeating itself, this will never pass.
SOPA is basically the same deal as an earlier bill that basically failed epically even though it was originally accepted, you know why it failed? Because you can't fucking censor the Internet, nor govern the Internet and control its content. The US government was under the false impression they could and are trying it again. There will be protests, petitions and public outcry that they can't possibly ignore such a public outcry. So what will happen? It will fall apart as it did before, the bill has already been delayed at least a few times because they can't ignore the public opinion towards it. In summary it won't pass and even if it does the public outcry coundn't be ignored by congree. So this bullshit about blanking our content in protest is really pointless bickering. 04:28, January 5, 2012 (UTC)
- Frosty, will you do me the favor of being the father of my children?
I'd do it myself, but then I'd have to get a job. And meet a woman.
- What? 00:20, January 7, 2012 (UTC)
Good thread at ATS
There's a very good thread on SOPA right now at Above Top Secret that's at the top of most of the thread listings. I suggest we do this forum over with a serious vote to join in the blackout if, goddess and Pan forbid, this passes. Thanks, Joe, for bringing the topic up here. Aleister 00:12 Russian Christmas '12
- You're welcome. If SOPA ever passes then Uncyclopedia will be dead in less than a month, hence re-establishing the "Uncyclopedia is the worst" mantra. And parody will be harder to do. |Si Plebius Dato' (Sir) Joe ang Kyurem CUN|IC Kill | 08:53, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- The Republicans and establishment Democrats (i.e. the man, the overlords, Davy Rockyfella) really want to kill the internet if they could, and this is a way of chopping off a leg and maybe one lung. Can you put up a forum with just a clean vote to do the blackout? This forum has gone in cats and dogs directions, so a clear question might get some serious voting done. Thanks again for your concern about, ah, saving uncyclopedia and the internet, trivial matters. Aleister 11:46 8-1-'12
Vote to self censor Uncyclopedia
- For ... I think we should censor ourselves and not allow uncyclopedia to make fun of people, use other peoples images or do anything else that people don't like. -- 05:33, January 9, 2012 (UTC)
- Against Per SOPA never being allowed due to public complaints and protests. 06:11, January 9, 2012 (UTC)
Voat to blackout Uncyclopedia if/and/when Wikipedia blacks out its site
- I actually have a really really giant black marker, and I plan on blacking out every word on uncyclopedia within the next week. -- 12:24, January 9, 2012 (UTC)
- It may be stopped by public protest, which is the whole point of joining in the protest. Thanks, Joe, for organizing our monkey chattering. Aleister 13:30 9-1-'12
- 4 |Si Plebius Dato' (Sir) Joe ang Kyurem CUN|IC Kill | 04:05, January 10, 2012 (UTC)
- Don't forget to move all pages to HAG*ER????? without the censor as well--fcukman
LOOS3R!05:00, January 10, 2012 (UTC)