Forum:Permission for running a bot
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Now that all the interwiki linkss seem to be working (notice the 33 links in the main page) I ask the admins here for permission to have on of the Spanish-language uncyclopedia running a bot to add interwikis. I'd ask Carlb, but he's been absent for a while now. The bot was actually sporked from his and updated, work's just fine at es:. ---Asteroid B612 (aka Rataube) - Ñ 17:45, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
- I havn't got a problem with it, as none of the other admins have I'm guessing they feel the same!--The Right Honourable Maj Sir Elvis UmP KUN FIC MDA VFH Bur. CM and bars UGM F@H (Petition) 22:45, 25 November 2006 (UTC)
Also, who's in charge of meta and uncyclopedia.info now that Carlb is absent? Couse some proposed a collaboration portal for the iberian lanaguages (spanish, portuguese, catalan, galician, etc) or even all the latin languages, and I thought meta or babel might be the right places.---Asteroid B612 (aka Rataube) - Ñ 19:27, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
- The metawiki already has its own sysops (nominated from when it was on Chron's server), meta:special:listusers/sysop would be a good place to start. The 'bot flags? Those are given out by bureaucrats on each individual wiki, and are used primarily for bots that would otherwise be spamming special:recentchanges with massive numbers of minor edits. If you plan to make a thousand edits in one session, please do contact one of the bureaucrats and get a 'bot flag first. It is also advisable to create a userpage on each language wiki affected by an interwiki.py instance, identifying both the evil killer robot and its human (or inhuman) handler. There'd be more than two dozen by now. The 'bot would need a separate userid so it can be shutdown in a hurry if it malfunctions if it malfunctions if it malfunctions if it malfunctions *thud* sorry about that, minor malfunction there. Beyond that, I don't think there is a strict policy on bots if they're doing something useful.
- In any case, the matter is entirely out of my hands. I'm not a bureaucrat, I am not the one to contact if you need a 'bot flag. I'm not the author of any of the 'bot code; the pywikipediabot project on sourceforge is the place to look for technical info. While I used to run a 'bot here, I had to discontinue the practice months ago as too many broken interlanguage links were appearing when trying to link from here to many other languages. --Carlb 00:51, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- Well, Thanks. I will create the bot user here user:ChixpyBot, but I don't have an account here and the links to the handler will go to my account in Wikia (in Inciclopedia to be exact).
- About the families.py, I copy it from User:Hymie the SpelChek™ bot/uncyclopedia family.py, but it halted many times because the URLs of some wikis were wrong, after I fixed they the bot works nicely. You can see my "famisannse (talk) 20:15, 29 November 2006 (UTC)lies,py" here. The ja: interwiki is commented out because no works in Inciclopedia the others are duplicates.
- I will run it from Inciclopedia..., then the bot will add only the pages of Inciclopedia that have interwiki to Uncy, but the interwikis are from all wikis found. I will skip some of then because there are some pages with a mess
- About bot flag... as far I know in wikia's wiki can't be set... (but I'm only a Sysop) @ Chixpy from Inciclopedia 19:08, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- Well the puppet user is created, when you say (bot flag, etc) that all is correct I will do my first run --ChixpyBot 19:37, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- Hi, is this just a bot flag for this wiki? or any other versions on Wikia? Everyone... you got 4 days to scream if you don't want this bot flag for Uncyc... otherwise I'll turn it on on Monday. Ta -- sannse (talk) 20:15, 29 November 2006 (UTC)
- Well, the same interwiki.py instance writes in Valenciclopedia and Inciclopedia too. In wikia the bot's username is the same. --ChixpyBot 21:02, 29 November 2006 (UTC)
- OK, I will ask about the bot flag in Valenciclopedia, Inciclopedia and Nonsensopedia.
- I will link to the permissions of use the bot in the other wikis.
- The permission to use in Nonsensopedia is here and here.
- The permission to use in Valenciclopedia is here in Uniò Llatina title asked by Fer in Valenciá, (I don't know why the link don't give the title directly)
- In Inciclopedia it's not clear where is the permission to use it... ^_^U. here and here too (In Spanish), Rataube asks me if I know how to run a bot, how many interwikis work (23 in this moment) and something else.
- I will ask in the affected wikis now about the flag bot, after all if they want to hide the changes of this account is their decission XD
- --ChixpyBot 02:43, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
- I haven't gave approval for setting flag for this bot on Nonsensopedia (actually I can't give it myself). I've just said it will be good when bot won't miss Nonsensopedia in updating. It can work on Nonsensopedia without flag, there's no many interwiki to update and Chixpy is confirming every edit manually, so bot won't flood RC. Szoferka 05:00, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
In edit conflict
- Relax, Szoferka... Nobody says here that the bot flag will be set in Nonsensopedia, as I do with you I'm only asking...
- Well, I ask to the bureaucrats of the wikis that will be changed.
For Nonsensopedia, I ask Szoferka (here. He may reply here).He replied here
- For Inciclopedia, I ask The Great and Magnanimus Rataube I "el Xusto" (Follow this, in spanish)
- Finally, for Valenciclopedia. ca:Usuari:Toni de l'Hostal (Of course the link, spanish too)
- In the three, I ask with the main with my username Chixpy.
- I hope I'm doing it well... I think that next time a table like this can do the work a little easier XD:
|Sysop flag||Never||Surely, No.||Never||Never||Status
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 I found a better link for Inciclopedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 With "never", I want to say that I will never try to get this flag
- ↑ Not needed. Only few pages blocked for non Sysop users in main space (Main Page, Community Portal, etc)
- Now, I only wait.
--ChixpyBot 06:24, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
- If by community aproval Sannse can take bureaus' answer, mine is whatever. I only asked for a flag here at uncy, becouse I understood from Carl's words that the flag was a requirement.---Asteroid B612 (aka Rataube) - Ñ 14:14, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
WOW, another edit conflict
- Well, I updated the previous table.
- Toni's answer is here(Engrich) and here(Valencià), but the bot flag is not nedeed and it's not my choice to use the flag. So, I think we'd better leave it as No use the flag in Valenciclopedia.
- And Rataube answers here, we are voting now.
- --ChixpyBot 14:59, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
I just wanna say there will no problem with sysop protected pages on Nonsensopedia, coz we don't have any full protected content pages and only five other full protected in "Project:" and "Template:" namespaces. Szoferka 17:21, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
- Table updated and finished. --ChixpyBot 15:20, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
Hey... im running a bot in some uncyclopedias, and, for run it here in uncyclo:en i should receive a Bot Flag, right? so... could u do this for me... =] My main account is HumbertoMC. In portuguese(my lang): HumbertoMC.
HumboT 00:28, 27 January 2007 (UTC)
- As usual, this needs community approval, and then I can flag. It might be an idea for Humbertomc to run this for a while without the flag... then everyone can check they are happy with the edits before they are hidden on Recent Changes -- sannse (talk) 19:55, 28 January 2007 (UTC)
- I for one, am fine with you running a bot.-- 23:19, 28 January 2007 (UTC)
- Same as Brad but with a different name. —Braydie at 16:05, 29 January 2007 (UTC)
- Well, i configured the bot for connect the bot, BUT, i can't connect it. I think there's something wrong. My bot can't connect on Wikia's Uncyclopedias:nonsenso(pl) and uncyclo(en), but in desciclo(pt) and Necyklo(cs) everything is right. I join the wikia's channel on irc, and they said there r making some changes in server, probably thats the reason. Someone could help me? :) HumboT 16:39, 29 January 2007 (UTC)