Forum:Looking for contact of zh-tw Uncyclopedia server administrator
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
I am an administrator on zh-tw Uncyclopedia. Recently http://zh.uncyclopedia.info is suffering from slow response (timeout) problem, especially in the night (in UTC+8 timezone, which is the timezone of greater China area). I would like to ask what is happening during that time. Unfortunately we don't know who is the server administrator of zh-tw Uncyclopedia, and seems no people beyond bureaucrats are present there, so I have to ask here. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. --Leeyc0 11:42, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Hi, that's one that Carlb hosts. He doesn't seem to have been around much recently, but possibly the best ways to contact him are via his talk page, or the "email this user" page at Special:Emailuser/Carlb. I tried to talk to him on his talk page about the problems that seem to keep coming up with his hosting, and whether it might be better to look at Wikia hosting (although I know he is unlikely to be pleased with that idea), but I've not heard from him yet. -- sannse (talk) 11:56, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- A bit of a special case, this one. Taiwan (zh-tw) requested their own wiki in early May 2006; weeks of discussion led nowhere as Wikia was already hosting a mainland China version of Uncyclopedia and considered an independent traditional-script Chinese wiki as mere overlap. I'd doubt that Taiwan wants to be http://uncyclopedia.wikiachina.cn - the issues here go a little beyond any of the usual problems with utterly incompatible licenses, the inability to use the Uncyclopedia user list and domain names on other-language projects and inability to edit interwiki links that we've been forced to deal with on countless Uncyclopedia-related wikis since 2005.
- As usage has increased significantly these past few months, I've placed an order for an additional server. Hopefully this will be deployed alongside the existing server in the next few days, bringing demand on the existing server's memory at peak times down to more reasonable levels. --Carlb 21:40, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Thank you very much :). You are right, the splitting of Chinese Uncyclopedia is caused by a complicated political issue - the political difference between Mainland China and Taiwan (plus Hong Kong & Macau) would cause an endless edit war (or even wheel war) if a single Uncyclopedia is served for all Chinese people. (It is already happening on zh-tw Uncyclopedia, which is vandalized by fenqings (wikipedia:en:Fenqing) frequently. --Leeyc0 22:26, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Not only zh.uncyclopedia.info has problems (too slow or can't access Main Page and any pages). But all language on uncyclopedia.info server
- Thai uncyclopedia (th.uncyclopedia.info) has that problems too.
- Unfortunately, I don't know who is the server administrator of Uncyclopedia.info.
- This server (uncyclopedia.org) is better than it!
- If uncyclopedia (.info) have better host, better server, or move all content of Thai Uncyclopedia to (.org) like wikipedia (example: th.uncyclopedia.org ; all language of wikipedia are in wikipedia.org but language code before wikipedia.org in URL), it may be better -- Love Krittaya 09:20, 9 April 2007 (UTC)
- Carlb is the server administrator of Uncyclopedia.info. This wiki, and quite a few other Uncyclopedia sister languages are hosted by Wikia. Of course, any language that would like to move to Wikia is most welcome. All you need is for the version's community to agree to the move. However, I don't know Carl's policy on such moves, and whether he would keep a duplicate of the moved wiki as a live competitor or not. Carl? Are you around to comment on that question? -- sannse (talk) 11:10, 10 April 2007 (UTC)