Forum:Interlanguage (sort of) links
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
I've just been thinking about trying to incorporate some other comedy wikis a little more intrinsically into Uncyclopedia, and I have a thought. I had a quick look at Wikiality earlier, and while these guys have a much smaller audience than we have, they also have a similar audience. (Wikiality being based upon a "Word of the day" from Stephen Colbert that defines roughly as "Whatever we say it is, it is.") We even reference Colbert in HTBFANJS.
So we have to opportunity to add Wikiality directly to our interwiki links. (At the moment the indirect link is w:c:wikiality:, and the reverse is [[uncyclopedia:]] from their end to get to here.)
Being that these guys are a similar concept Wikia based wiki, I was thinking we could add them as an interlanguage link (like we do for interlanguage Uncyclopedia projects - such as [[ca:Valenciclopèdia:Portal]] creates an interwiki link on this page. (See the bottom of the nav bar).
They refer to themselves as the "truthiness" encyclopaedia. We call ourselves the "Content-free" encyclopaedia. Maybe we can interlink under the language of truthiness and content-free between the two sites.
Of course, this has to be put into place by Wikia, but at first it needs community consensus. (If anyone wants to see what interwiki links and interwiki language links we have visit http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo&siprop=interwikimap - and theirs is http://wikiality.wikia.com/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo&siprop=interwikimap . They list us, not vice versa.) • Puppy's talk page • 10:59 31 Jan
- Thanks Pup. I had a scoot around. Don't like the look of the fully embraced Wikia skin! Read some of the articles. Stylistically a bit different from Unc but I don't see a problem with linking but I guess we would need to see what the others think first. --RomArtus*Imperator ITRA (Orate) ® 11:34, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
- I support it in principle. Good external relations builds traffic, and linking to an external wiki does not imply endorsement of its content or its format. If I were on the other side of this linkage, though, getting involved in either side of an evolving Fork war would seem a total waste of time.
- Note that, for most interwiki links, it is not that we link to Desciclopedia or whatever (though we do make a global decision on the targets) but rather that relevant pages link to their counterparts. (The work to make this happen is largely done by Anons coming from the counterpart wiki.) So Undictionary pages would have a link in the Sidebar to Wikiality.
- Side point - do (or should) we still link to sites that have changed to the fork for their inter wiki links? (I know the mirror has changed the inter wiki link there. Given it's Carlb's site I'm hesitant to change it back, but I did add this site back into the header.)
- And I'm be looking at like for like pages. I only thought of this as Spyder-Man had a link to Wikiality, but not the reverse. As for that site - they'd be getting “advertising” on one of Wikia's largest sites. We also have a lot more content, so we'd be able to link back here (to specific pages) on the majority of their pages. It's a win/win. And I'd hazard a guess that Wikia would be loathe to allow Wikiality to link to the fork. • Puppy's talk page • 02:14 31 Jan
- Sure; for the same reason Wikia doesn't want us to link there. We should hold out for reciprocity in any such agreement. 14:26 31-Jan-13
Looked at the site and tried to pry around, and if that is what a typical wikia page looks like thanks goddess for this site. What a hodgepodge of nothing and lots of noise to fill the cracks. I looked at the Disney wiki a couple of days ago and it was a little better but still noisy. Aleister 12:38 31-1-'13