Forum:I'm banned...on IRC?
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
- User_talk:ChiefjusticeDS#"I'm banned from IRC?" (talk) 22:03, March 21, 2011 (UTC)
- Some kind of new advertising hustle? I've never gone on and have no plans to. Uncy is my homebase in this corner of the net, and IRC and Facetube (Facebook ate DrStrange, once he started using it he seldom came back to uncy, and others have done the same) can go twitter themselves for all iz care. It's uncy for me, unc (y). Aleister 22:14 21-3-'11
Someone decided it would be a good idea to +r the channel, which is incredibly irritating on two levels:
- Everyone has to register an account with freenode; and
- Those who have need to identify before joining the channel.
Neither of which are necessarily hard, per se, but both are pretty stupid. Especially 2, it forces people to learn how to set their accounts to automatically identify.
- And, I should add, anyone who thinks this is going to stop trolls or flooders hasn't heard of such things as 10minutemail.com
- except most haven't, and those that have still have a very tangible dent put into their trolling efforts, especially as the Freenode servers do also place a small delay on sending the e-mail, it won't stop trolls, but for the one-time hassle of registering an account (which you really should do anyway for fucks sake) we add an additional level of bother for the troll, which will certainly affect how long they spend attacking. -- 16:49, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
- It is stupid. #uncyclopedia is supposed to be a place where people can go for quick help. Well, that was the intention... many moons ago. —rc (t) 22:17, March 22, 2011 (UTC)
- Here's the manual. Please memorize it. Or just press /msg nickserv register <password> <email>. Mister Victim (talk) 07:04, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
Alright, seriously: if it's not apparent enough from all the above comments, #uncyclopedia doesn't need +r. We take for granted as veteran IRC'ers how apparently simple it is to register a nickname and set it to auto-identify. But to a new user, it's a confusing and tedious process. And while you can certainly argue that the regulars ought to have their nicknames registered by now to prevent people from imitating them, doing this alienates potental new IRC'ers as well as people who only drop by once in a while. As RC mentions, IRC is supposed to be for quick help too, not just a bunch of old users bumming around.
If we're doing this just because of some troll, that troll's won; Uncyclopedians have been inconvenienced and frustrated. So yeah, they got a reaction out of us. Really people, this is a fucking no-brainer. Get rid of +r.
+r or no +r
- Against. Yeah, people already need to figure out what IRC is and what client to use. They don't need to figure all this additional junk out too.
- Against. I Absolutely so fucking agree with what Skully and Rcmurphy have said. This has been a massive frustration and inconvenience for newbies and those who are just looking for a bit of help. Get rid of +r. - LOL vandalz 19:40, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
- Against. Get rid of it, whatever it is. I'm never going on IRC, but this sounds like a troll has won and this cannot stand. Aleister 19:45 23-3-'11
- he was pretty enraged tonight at being unable to join, so I beg to differ. To an IRC troll, they have only "won" if they are able to carry out their attacks; if you block them, they are defeated and become enraged at being unable to disrupt, I dislike how Skully has completely misrepresented the situation and turned it into a dramafest for the sake of having his own way - however, since that's the way he wants it, +r is hereby to be considered trialled for the next 7 days, if a significant number of people have issues it will be reserved for attack periods only. If you'd like to now pick a fight over the trial period, go ahead, but I'd prefer if you did so on IRC. -- 22:02, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
- Against. Eventually, this will probably kill the channel, although 7 days of it is probably safe. Also, I registered "Hyperbole" months ago but immediately forgot my password. 22:55, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
- Against If I was ever in the channel, I'd troll the little fucker back. Everybody knows I'm great at berating people. This whole "+r" is stupid. Just +q him when he joins and let him talk to himself. Anyway, IRC sucks. MegaPleb • Dexter111344 • Complain here 23:01, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
- Comment. I should probably point out that if you're not registered, you now get sent to #unops where it gives you instructions on how to register and/or identify. -- 23:07, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
- +r is fucking dumb as shit, captain. -- 06:17, March 24, 2011 (UTC)
- I don't care. I'm just commenting because there's a page with votes. 06:21, 24 March 2011
- Against. Same here. DJ Mixerr 21:46, March 24, 2011 (UTC)
- Against. Horrible timing. The day after I joined IRC, ChanServ's retarded friend +r wanders in. -- - CONTRIBS - WRITINGS - SHOP - Now adopting! 22:55, March 24, 2011 (UTC)
- Against. --Hotadmin4u69 [TALK] 17:32 Mar 25 2011
- Against. Okay, I'm inclined to agree; it's giving too many legitimate users problems. Anything more than a couple of days at a span for extremes is probably too much, especially considering how it's supposedly a community support channel where folks can go for help or whatnot... and it's not like we don't have our own trolls. 20:03, 25 March 2011
- Against. 20:56 25-Mar-11
- Against. 23:05, March 25, 2011 (UTC)