From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Let's say, purely hypothetically, something were to happen, either to us or to Wikia, that would force us to find new hosting. And let's suppose we have hosting options, and that money isn't an issue and we have backups (or can get them) of most of the stuff, and actually putting the site somewhere else isn't a technical problem (even if it is, any specifics would depend entirely upon whatever happened).
Hopefully it won't come to that, but one thing we can sort out ahead of time, perhaps, is what to do about a domain name. Not only would it make things a little easier should the time come to have that already decided and enable users to actually know where to all go, but it could also be kind of fun for the doomsday-lovers among us. So what domain would identify the site?
|Domain||Holder||Ours?||Usable?||Description of current use|
|en.uncyc.net||Uncyclopedia||✓||✓||Container for various bot scripts, IRC statistics, short urls|
|en.uncyc.org||Carl Bennett||✗||?||Forwards to Vandalism-ridden mirror site|
|en.uncyc.com||Carl Bennett||✗||?||Forwards to Multilanguage landing page|
|uncyclopedia.co||Uncyclopedia||✓||✓||Forwards to Wikia-hosted Uncyclopedia|
|uncyclopedia.biz||Uncyclopedia||✓||✓||Forwards to Wikia-hosted Uncyclopedia|
|en.uncyclopedia.info||Carl Bennett||✗||?||Forwards to Vandalism-ridden mirror site|
|en.uncyclopedia.org||Wikia||✗||✗||Forwards to Wikia-hosted Uncyclopedia|
- ↑ If any of you happen to have or know of others, please add them.
- ↑ The subdomains are included if the main domain is used for something else or more general (a multilingual thing, say); we could use an en subdomain with any of the other ones we have access to if we wanted as well.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Carlb's would probably be usable, or at very least I don't see why he wouldn't redirect them to whatever we would wind up using; he may be kind of slow when it comes to actually doing stuff, but he's been good to many of the other uncyclopedias he also happens to not like wikia, so...
And there are a whole lot of random other language/country ones floating around, but never mind those. Shall we have a vote for what to use should everything go terribly wrong (or right, depending on how you see this)? Note that this is a question of what we would use as our main; most of the others would still all point to that. Besides the uncyclopedia.org one, that is... probably. Unless we really do wind up in this situation because of the entire company flomping, in which case who knows... 05:39, 22 January 2012
- Those are expensive. 05:45, 22 January 2012
- If we absolutely have to move then I'd suggest uncyc.co. uncyclopedia.something is likely to have people going to uncyclopedia.com by accident. The other issue is of course if we get a domain name mentioned here there is always the possibility that some prick will come along and buy it while we're still deciding and then charge is a scad-load more for it. Pup 11:43 22 Jan '12
- Although if we point out here how broke we are, maybe it'll sink into them that that would be utterly pointless. We can always use something else. >.> 19:04, 22 January 2012
- Another minor point. GoDaddy suck! Pup 11:45 22 Jan '12
- Uncy.com is open. Or we can try to buy Uncyclopedia.com or .net or .xxxx. And why are we thinking of moving? Aleister 11:58 22-1-'12
- They blow, too. Just don't ask how I know this. 19:04, 22 January 2012
- There's also PuppyOnTheRadio.com still available. Pup 12:01 22 Jan '12
- And well it should be. Uncy is the shortest letter combo which brings up the site on google and bing, so I always use that nickname for uncyclopedia. I'm surprised uncy.com is still available, although maybe it isn't. Aleister 12:05 22-1-'12
Is www.asexuality.org/wiki/ available? Pup 12:56 26 Jan '12