Forum:Article clean-up initiative
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Those of you who had the unalloyed pleasure of reading Forum:Use of Uncyclopedia as a catalog will have seen that I made a little proposal for an initiative to clean-up our high traffic pages. I have rather cleverly called this initiative "Clean up our high traffic pages". Here is how it will work, I have assembled a list of some of the pages and a few categories that seem to attract the lunatic fringe more than others. All we would like you to do is choose one, put your name next to it, go to the article, remove the vanity/cyberbullying/idiocy/endless lists and do a little bit of writing in an effort to replace the content that you remove. Nobody is expecting you to make a featured article out of the page but rather make it acceptable; something we are happy to have on the wiki.
The list I have provided is not exhaustive and feel free to add articles to it yourself if you think they merit a clean-up (every little helps), however please don't simply add articles to the list and then do nothing about any others, this is about participation and improving the general standard of our articles, not listing poor articles and then leaving them for others to fix.
A quick comment, the list is made up of a large number of articles about countries. Country articles are, by their very nature difficult to write if you are not from that country and know very little about it. However, they are evidently high-interest pages and we should make the effort to look them up on wikipedia and try to come up with something more coherent than rambling silliness.
Due to the nature of this initiative VFD is not an option for the articles listed below, let's have a go at fixing them before we try to fling them on the fire.
- You can put your name next to multiple articles.
- Please indicate if you intend to fully rewrite an article.
- Once you have finished working on an article cross it off the list.
- Shiny templates are available for excellent work.
- Don't add articles and do no work on the others.
- There is no rule 6.
This initiative would ideally run until every article on Uncyclopedia is of feature quality, however as that is not a viable option I have settled for the 4th of April.
These pages are sourced from Special:MostRevisions
- Norway - I'll take it! Sir ScottPat (converse) VFH UnS NotM WotM WotY 17:28, March 27, 2014 (UTC)
Making up Oscar Wilde quotes- Trying a bit of a rewrite here, any ideas to User:ChiefjusticeDS/Wilde. -- 19:08, March 29, 2014 (UTC)
- Original article is on VFD, to consider replacing it with the rewrite. -- 21:40, March 29, 2014 (UTC)
- People's Republic of China
- Mr. T
- New Zealand
- Xbox 360
Wales - Done. -- 15:50, March 31, 2014 (UTC)
India (India is a featured page, well put together and watched over by Funnybony - Aleister 14:48 28-3-14
- Whoops, I did try and avoid adding the featured articles off the list, evidently this one slipped through. -- 16:26, March 28, 2014 (UTC)
Your mom- Done -- 12:28, March 27, 2014 (UTC) Mexico- Already done 10:48 27-Mar-14
- Oprah Winfrey
- Santa Claus - Chief, you are shaming us to pick up at least one of these hellhole piles of monkey dung, and if I'm going to be psychologically forced to do one because you are showing us your work as you edit, dick, it might as well be Santa Claus. Santa! Yay! (leaves cookies and milk out on a plate) But I must be up-front and say that I will, of course, transfer a copy to the other site upon completion of this damn page which I will be forced to at least work on until I think it's featurable. Because Santa loves all you guys, so how can I be any different? Aleister 18:23 29-3-14
- It shall be as you wish. --
19:03, March 29, 2014 (UTC)
- I took a quick glance through some of the page and this is the only thing I saw worth keeping so far (although I haven't read it line for line):
- It shall be as you wish. --
Aleister 17;12 30-3-14
Death- Done! Original is on VFD for consideration of replacing it with my rewrite. -- 14:58, April 4, 2014 (UTC) Spain
- Monarchial Republic of Greece
- Snakes on a Plane
- Manchester Red Sox Ltd
- Roman Abramovich
- The Art of Twangage
- Ad nauseum
Feel free to look through these as well.
- Category:Towns in England
- Category:Towns in Australia
Speaking of footballers
- I'll certainly have a go over the next few days. --
16:28, March 28, 2014 (UTC)
- I've done my best to merge the two together, unfortunately Neverton was so hopeless most of the content didn't make the cut. The resulting article is fairly short but of a slightly higher quality. -- 17:45, March 29, 2014 (UTC)
If there is any discussion to be done let it be done here.
- Wouldn't it be a good idea to protect all the articles like this, that IP vandals are drawn to, from IP's? Aleister 14:53 28-3-14
- I'm happy to entertain suggestions and requests for protection. The main reason I don't want to blanket protect them is because these pages are so popular and we want new users to contribute and make changes to them. -- 16:28, March 28, 2014 (UTC)
Uncyclopedians are still invited to Votes for deletion, where several of the regulars likewise clean up and save articles whenever possible. However, repairing crufty articles is not always the best use of our time, and deletion is sometimes the right decision. It is not clear we need to repair "Art of Farting" and, regarding new arrival "Brian of Nazareth", without repeating Forum:Use of Uncyclopedia as a catalog, it is not clear we need an article explaining how funny a Monty Python character was. 13:03 27-Mar-14
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit....it's the only way to be sure
I feel it is very important on a forum post that is pushing such a dangerous agenda as actually daring to suggest we spend time cleaning up and improving articles to make sure that Uncyclopedia are notified that the tried and tested methodology is available over at the Eugenics Department. That is all... --