Forum:"On this day" could use some work
From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
"On this day" could use some work, in my opinion. There's some good stuff, but a lot of the jokes are on the level of time travel, celebrity references, impossible events, for instance "1912- Chipmunks discovered on Mars" or "1958 - Oprah eats the entire population of Koreans". Stupid-not-funny, random, huffable crap, in other words. I've been doing a bit of editing lately- not that I think my stuff is great, just that it's better than much of the crap on there. It's also a good way to get a bit of your writing on the front page.
Anyhow, my suggestions:
- themed histories can be good, for example, "August 3: Vague Day" is a bunch of extremely vague events.
- real events are a good inspiration. Go over to Wikipedia and type in "August 21" or whatever date you want to edit to see what happened, it may give you an idea. Making fun of something that really happened is often funnier than making up random, stupid, impossible events.
- when you throw in links, try to throw in a link to a good article- a VFA or classic that maybe hasn't been looked at in a while. Someone did "air guitar was invented on this day" for instance. (a) it's amusing, and (b) it puts a good article where it's visible on the front page so people are more likely to read it and get something funny if they visit the site.
InfiniteMonkey 19:48, 9 August 2006 (UTC)
- By all means, feel free to delete the crappier entries. Most of them are leftovers from last year, anyway. --Algorithm 02:54, 10 August 2006 (UTC)
- As creator of the section back in April of '05, I agree that mostly it's retarded Chuck Norris jokes and random anachronisms. I haven't really added to it since the first few days of its existence, but most of my better entries involved jokes that were about real history and fit with it (as opposed to twisting it and mostly f*cking it up). Be my guest and change any entries you want. Right now it's servicable as a filler to allow Uncyc to look like Wiki, but if we can make it actually funny, I'm all for it. -- 13:04, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
What do you think about putting the first couple of paragraphs (and pic) of the top UnNews story on the main page on top of the headlines and On this Days? It would make the front a bit more colourful and topical and would shrink the space left for headlines and On This Days, thus making the On This Day overhaul less onerous and stuff. --14:33, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
- Just as links to real articles make In The News and Did You Know more functional, economical, and funny, including events as described in QUALITY articles would greatly increase On This Date's everything-ness. -- 05:58, 12 August 2006 (UTC)