Georges Jacques Danton (26 October 1759 – 5 April 1794) was a leader of the French Revolution who was even uglier than the actor who once played him in a French movie.
Danton today is seen as a 'hero' of France. Streets and battleships are named after this Jacobin responsible for the deaths of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Even guard dogs carry the name of the man who helped to define France's big leap from monarchy into anarchy. (more...)
Extension:DynamicPageList (DPL), version 2.3.0 : Warning: No results.
Yesterday's Featured Article -
DID U KNOE...
- ...that the WWF is the only "sports entertainment" organization endorsed by PETA and Greenpeace? (pictured)
- ...that the oozy, off-colored mound of bloody what-ever-it-is stretching its way out of what used to be a tiny hole is a baby's head?
- ...that two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane?
- ...that air is a fictional substance that was once believed to fill the space above the surface of the Earth? While this "air theory" was once used to explain various phenomena, air theory, at last refuted, has joined the gene, the atom, Antarctica, and the free lunch in a long list of scientific red herrings.
- ...that recent advances in nanobiotechnology have led to advanced, implantable music players capable of holding up to three seconds of low-quality MP3 audio?
- ...that the sport of Water Polo can be greatly improved with the addition of sharks?
- ...that the only way the bible could have more holes is if it were written on Jesus's skin?
In the news
ON DIS DAI...
December 2: International Boring Nordic Culture Heritage Day
- 6000 BC - Mankind born from the toil of an ice giant melting to the ocean. At least that's what Viking creationists say.
- 432 - Thor gets arrested in Valhalla after being accused of destroying an orphanage while Drunk Chariot Driving. Embarrassed, the Nordic people begin converting to Christianity.
- 793 - Vikings visit Lindisfarne Abbey in Northern England, bringing home a suspicious amount of souvenirs.
- 900 - Erik the Red, a Viking explorer and real estate agent, discovers a big block of ice, utterly unsuitable for human life. He gives it the name 'Greenland' to attract customers.
- 957 - A third Denmarks population dies victim of the mysterious axe in the head plague.
- 966 - Vikings reach Constantinople, bringing home alabaster chess sets and cheap carpets as souvenirs.
- 1000 - Explorer and murderer Leif Erikson discovers America, but realizes his mistake in time and lets Columbus and Vespucci have all the blame.
- 1429 - Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, decides not to be, and disappeares immediately.
- 1755 - Danish pastries are first introduced to non-Danes.
- 1859 - Hans Christian Andersen writes The Emperor Is A Nudist, a beloved fairy tale.
- 1916 - Europe at war. Swedes have an excellent game of bridge.
- 1940 - Europe at war again. Swedes read a lot of good books.
- 2010 - Bruce Willis is declared legally bald.
- 2009 - God kills three (3) men, each named Jeff.
| COLONIZASHUN OV TEH WEEK
|For the glory of her majesty|
HALP US CLEAR TEH IVY OV CRAP,
AN PLANT TEH SEEDZ OV HUMOR.