From Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Welcome to The Marree Man - the official page of our George W. Bush writer team.
"The Marree Men" was established in late July, 2006, to encourage our Australian users to contribute more regularly to Uncyclopedia. Despite we had already had a considerable amount of Australian contributors registered as users here, they were never active in contributing, and despite there were about 200 articles in Category:Australia, no one was ever interested in improving them, or, at least, arranging them in a more organised manner. Meanwhile, as Uncyclopedia became more and more popular in the US, UK and Canada, our content also began to be seen as, accordingly, more UK/American-centric, and some users were concerned that our Australian visitors would become apathetic to this wiki as a whole. Thus, as a prevention of a vicious cycle of apathy, The Marree Men team was established.
Indeed, you are not required to sign up to become a registered user and/or a member of our team to contribute to any part of this wiki, but at the same time there are two things you will need to consider when you make edits here as an anonymous/IP user. Firstly, unlike some other similar wikis, such as Encyclopedia Dramatica, this site is community-driven, and if you decide to remain "anonymous" (or in other words, to associate your edits with your IP address instead of a nickname of your choice), that means you will not be able to participate in some of our activities such as "Vote for Deletion" and will have less influence in some decision-making processes such as "Vote for Highlight". Secondly, being an IP user also means that you will not be able to communicate with other users as it is often the case that an IP is shared by up to hundreds of individuals and it is not always assigned to the same users. Indeed, the advantages of being an registered user are obvious to many of us, but why should you join The Marree Men team then?
Our team page is loosely modelled after Wikipedia's Australian Collaboration of the Fortnight page. We nominate articles here for improvement, but we are too lazy to decide on what to get done and what not. So, as long as you are a team member, and if you want to link an article here to get it worked on or as a VFH/VFD notification, you are welcomed to do so. Plus, by being a member you will also become a candidate for our Grand Steve Irwin Award (blame Hindleyite for the name, if you happen to hate The Crocodile Hunter and its host). Not bad, huh?
No, you don't have to be an Australian (or a man) to join The Marree Men, but you must become a registered user first and then sign up in one of the follow sections with 4 tildes (~~~~) so you can stay in touch with other fellow Marree Men. Also, as a token of gratitude, you are welcomed to add the following userbox to your userpage. It's not worth anything, but it's quite handy when you have a little too much space to waste.
|This user is a Marree Man. Drongos just became an endangered species.|
edit Aussie "Marree Men" and those who think they are
- If I get round to it, I might write something up to represent the Eastern suburbs and show the difference between me and rest of you westies. I never go to the beach but I'm more than happy to whinge about all those wannabes that come to Bronte and Bondi for a daytrip. Just goes to show how true blue I am! --KrunK 05:15, 19 May 2007 (UTC)
- YOu can't laugh at yourselves?
- how do i join? just type something here? i have ideas, call me, call me now... --fredzfrog2 9:35pm 1 January 2007
- Yeah, finally a club for my hometown of Australia. No seriously I'm in. I want that steve irwin award. Plus I'm Australian, Central Coast, NSW.Hardeehar 16:00, 16 November 2006 (UTC)
- Consider me in, maaaaate. I've been working on the AFL page a bit, making it less about how Collingwood fans like to shit on about fuck all and more about teh funny. --Rilstix 00:24, 18 October
- Owzitgaarn. I've added a Fremantle article, added some to the Perth article, and I have to say I was shocked to see that there wasn't a Holden page on uncyc, so I added one... Also is this talk page upside down or what? Shouldn't the latest be at the top? --Bh (talk) 06:34, 14 October 2006 (UTC)
- G'day cobber, I'm as 'Strayan as Chiko Rolls, cracking a tinnie and taking a leak in a creek. Happy to help any way I can. Someone's gotta fly the flag, eh? And where can I get one of them little flags for me signature? --Armando 14:10, 29 July 2006 (UTC)
- yeh me too go blacktown -- Gotohell 08:00, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
- I'll have another go. I can't guarantee a massive amount of editing because I'm piled under with work, but my procrastination will guarantee something. --Bk 12:42, 2 August 2006 (UTC)
- Living in Cronulla, I think I would be more than apt to make fun of everything wrong with Australia. Count me in. --Joachim22 05:10, 4 August 2006 (UTC)
- I'll have a go here and there. Be warned, I'm Tasmanian, so anything I do will be slow, economically unstable, and often featured on travel programs. --Lowee 16:06, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
Yeeeehaaaaw!! Doors open boys! Whooo-eee! We'll show those Fatcats on Capital Hill a thing or seven. Csm.grfD 23:39, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
- How do I contribute? I'd like to throw things like this in the mix: "In the 70's the town of Darwin was attacked by what was once thought of as a mythical creature the Cyclops. The Cyclops named Tracey destroyed the town. Darwin's other claim to fame was that Charles Darwin, best known for his Evolution thesis and the founder of the Darwin Awards, was named after town of Darwin.". --Reprobate 05:10, 4 August 2006 (UTC)
- Just a rule of thumb: the truth is usually funnier than nonsense. The funniest pages are those closest to the truth. For more information on how to be funny and not just stupid, read UN:DUMB. Also, read some of our good articles here, like this one. -- The Colonel (talk) 10:02, 25 September 2006 (UTC)
- Personally I think Reprobate's example was quite funny - the word play changing "cyclone" to "cyclops" especially. It certainly isn't just "nonsense" as you say... --Bh (talk) 06:34, 14 October 2006 (UTC)
- Count me in. I've written a few Northern territory related articles as well as few on Aussie food.-- Heyrizzle 12:00, 28 October 2006 (ACT)
- I've written an article on Gympie...hopefully it's better than the town itself. I'm planning on writing a lot more on and about the Sunshine Coast and it's inhabitants...we all know how intelligible they are.--Escape 12:11, 6 November 2006 (UTC)
- I didn't know this existed. I'd love to be part of this. -- 09:31, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
- Uncyclopoedia may be one big waste of time but I try to cull material that's merely a person's (negative) opinion (I always imagine embittered high school kids writing the deragotary material here). - Grand Mal 12:05, 3 January 2007 (UTC)
- I love making fun of Australia, because no matter who much we bag it out, it's still WAAAAY better than anywhere else i've ever been!!! --10rd Ben 11:22, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
- Australia - The luckiest country on Earth. We'd have to be to survive with a population this stupid. Filanator 09:02, 14 June 2007 (UTC)
- God Bless Australia and Steve Irwin, count me in! Mccann 05:56, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
- I'm not just Pinoy, I'm an Australian, and I have Austraslian citizenship. Joe9320 11:27, 3 July 2008 (UTC)
- What up my Diggers? What needs doing? (User: Sirnoobalot1337)
- G'day mates! User:Shadow-Stalk3r
- War against Wauchope! I mean Drongos! Deadly Bagel 04:37, 30 April 2009 (UTC)
- By Crikey Strike-Alike dingo's got my Baby
- Imma joining this... ...club? Tourist on the barbie? Anyone? --Tomasauk 13:05, September 23, 2010 (UTC)
edit Non-Aussie "Marree Men" and those who think they are
- YOU ARE A BUNCH OF WANKERS LET US EDIT YOUR AUSTRALIAN PAGE!@ --Anonymous
- I don't think so, anonymous n00b! Enjoy a banning, cause one is surely coming your way soon! --10rd Ben 02:59, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
- The Colonel (talk) 19:43, 25 July 2006 (UTC) (although I won't be here for long)
- -- 12:35, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
- For the sake of Steve Irwin, God Bless his soul ~ Hindleyite 15:55, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
- -- §. | WotM | PLS | T | C | A 23:23, 15 October 2006 (UTC)
- I got a bit Marree Mannish once I heard of the word "boong" to refer to an Abo. Rickyrab 05:32, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
- Never mind that I am not, in fact, a racist or anything of that sort. Rickyrab 05:33, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
edit What you have to be aware of
Of course, there are things that we don't consider "funny" here and if your edits are crappy enough, one of these meanies will come and tell you off and/or have you banned from editing. In fact, many, many people have been banned from this wiki for:
- spamming/making useless, fake quotes,
- spamming/making useless templates,
- blanking pages,
- abusing other users,
- complaining about how trashy a page is by adding comments right there,
- violating our vanity policy,
- writing pointless drivels, and
- engaging in revert wars.
So, make sure you don't do any of these things or you will find yourself under fire very, very quickly. In addition, there are things that won't get you into immediate trouble but nonetheless make you look stupid. These include:
- overusing surreal humour,
- making unexplained/pointless lists,
- expanding/modifying lists/tables with pointless/unrelated entries, and
- adding your own stuff to an article without taking note of what others have done there.
Remember, like many, many of the admins have angrily pointed out, Uncyclopedia is not your playground, and you must not take your privilege of editing for granted. Act wisely and be one happy Marree Man for years to come.
edit Trophy you can earn
By joining The Marree Man you will also have the chance to win a shiny award. Hey! It is not worth any money, but at least it looks good on a user page. Of course, in order to receive this honour you will have to do something for our clan in return. Well, we have already set up an exhaustive series of rules and procedures on how this is granted to a user, and if there happens to be any dispute on this trophy thing, we will just follow what has been written and make a judgment. So, for those who want to satisfy their inner Bert Newtons and Naomi Robsons, the following is definitely a must-read.
edit The "Grand Steve Irwin Medal"
This medal is awarded to username,
the fairest and best Marree Man
in the month of month, year
This award is to be offered on a monthly basis by a Marree Man elder to a member, or members, of The Marree Men who have displayed excellence in Australia-related contributions, which include, but not limited to, full-length articles, major article rewrites, minor article edits and original images. Modelled after the AFL "Charles Brownlow Trophy", the "Grand Steve Irwin Medal" is considered an honour for the "fairest and best" members of the Marree Men and is not to be granted to those who are found to have been blocked for one or more bannable offenses, such as vandalism and flame warring, within the month in question.
edit Granting Procedure
- A Marree Men elder checks the contribution records of a member of The Marree Man for contributions that the said Marree Men elder finds excellent within a given month.
- The said elder checks the block logs for any offenses committed by the said member. Members who were blocked for a) vandalism, b) abusive behaviour and/or c)edit/flame warring at some time during the given month are not eligible for the honour represented by the Grand Steve Irwin Medal.
- The said Marree Men elder compiles an undisclosed list of potential receivers of the Grand Steve Irwin Medal of the said given month by repeating Steps 1 and 2.
- Once the said elders decides that the said list of potential receivers is completed, a potential receiver from the said list is selected and granded The "Grand Steve Irwin Medal" of the said given month. A Grand Steve Irwin Medal of a month is to be offered by a Marree Men elder to a member of The Marree Man only once.
- The Grand Steve Irwin Medal of the said given month is placed on the receiver's userpage (or the user's talk page). Any illegitimate Grand Steve Irwin Medal(s) on a userpage is/are considered invalid and is/are to be removed immediately from the said userpage upon sighting.
edit Past winners
edit To-do list
- Team members only: You are welcome to add an article of your choice here for improvement or to notify others of a new VFH/VFD nomination. Please open a new sub-section for each article added, prefix your comment with an asterisk and sign it with ~~~~.
The king of Daleks says, "Ex-pand it."
- I got this one, anyone else is welcome to add to it. -- §. | WotM | PLS | T | C | A 00:59, 17 October 2006 (UTC)
- Done, but it's short and on Pee Review here. -- §. | WotM | PLS | T | C | A 04:50, 25 October 2006 (UTC)
- I added a whole bunch, and edited a bit. Kind of added a bit more of a story around the leadership. Let me know what you think! --10rd Ben 13:55, 7 February 2007 (UTC)
- If you hate Logie-winning cannibals, here's your chance to make your day. -- The Colonel (talk) 18:44, 11 November 2006 (UTC)
- For obvious reasons. I'm thinking of Australianizing and Wizard-of-Ozing it, as I did some of under an anon account. Rickyrab 05:39, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
edit Other comments/debates
Plese use the discussion page provided or simply use your own talk page. Thank you!
It has been brought to my attention that our founder Col. Swordsman is to be departing Uncyc for greater things. Fear not, for I will oversee the page in his absence, until further notice at least. Look, I'm not an Australian native, but I do like Australian humour. And, um that's about it. Any questions on this, ask on my or The Colonel's talkpage, or indeed here. And God Bless Steve Irwin. -- Hindleyite 12:07, 5 September 2006 (UTC)
edit I get the feeling...
...that this isn't that active any more. Pup