As most of you know, for many many years now our wiki has had many many grievances with our hosts, Wikia. There are too many problems for me to list here, and for quite some time now, our dialogue with Wikia has not been an open one: they make changes to our site, we complain, they do nothing.
This evening, on IRC, a possible solution to our problems emerged. One of our newest users, Tristessa de St Ange, is a member of the Wikipedia:Mediation Cabal and the Wikipedia:Mediation Committee (more info on her wikipedia userpage). It's clear she knows how to mediate conflicts. And she has volunteered to mediate our conflict with Wikia.
The first step of this process will be a vote to determine whether or not our community actually wants Tristessa's help in this matter. During this voting phase, if anybody from our community would like to volunteer to help Tristessa, please do so. The more volunteers the better.
So, without further ado, let's get to the voting! Yay voting! -- 08:45, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
Well, hello there! I'm Tristessa, and I hope I'll get to get to know more people on Uncyclopedia very soon. I believe in Uncyclopedia, and in this community; I've already fallen in love within my first ten edits; I intend to be here to stay. I intend to stay because I see a tremendous amount of positive, happy things about the Uncyclopedian community: the only wiki, perhaps, able to "be funny and not just stupid" in a way that gives wikis of infinitely more seriousness a run for their money. I'd like, therefore, to endorse everything that Zombiebaron says above.
Now, no mediation is either desirable or workable without the support of the parties involved, and in this case you — the editors of Uncyclopedia who keep this place what it is — are indeed not only an integral part of the process, but its essential component. As I understand it, from my discussions with Zombiebaron and friends on IRC, some Uncyclopedians say they feel that Uncyclopedia has certain requirements that Wikia is not currently fulfilling, and that is operating the wiki in a way not supported by the community. The issues that exist between Uncyclopedia and Wikia at present appear to be due in a large part to a lack of communication and understanding on both sides, and I think this situation could be relatively easily diffused with frank discussion that takes place in an open and participatory way. This is what I would like to do, acting as an impartial person to facilitate Uncyclopedia and Wikia talking on better terms and with a better quality of communication. All mediation discussions will take place in a manner open to the community, and concerns that show consensus for discussion will be raised. This is I believe the solution, and I hope you will be kind enough to support me in seeing it through.
For those that would like to see relations between Wikia and Uncyclopedia restored, I need not belabour the point further. But for those who feel mistrust and difficulties accepting the idea of reconciliation, I ask only that you bear with me during dialogue in the hope that the results will speak for themselves. I will be honoured to act in this capacity should the community deem it appropriate.--Tristessa de St Ange 09:11, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
Does Uncyclopedia want to let Tristessa mediate our conflict with Wikia?
- For. Obviously. -- 08:45, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Yes obviously. -- 08:47, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Of course. I can't think of any way in which this wouldn't be advantageous to me, and as you all know I take myself very seriously, so this has to be important. 09:02, 27 November 2011
- Yep 09:57, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Sounds like a nice initiative and I don't see anything bad coming from this, so why the hell not? GUN SotM UotM PMotM UotY PotM WotM 11:42, 27 November 2011
- Hello. Part of her name is part of the title of one of my favourite Manic Street Preachers songs. That must make this OK. --UU - natter 13:46, Nov 27
- Hi again, Tris ...? You're really lookin' to be useful over here. Good luck in whatever you're setting out to do! 14:05, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- What the hell. Sure! ~[ths] UotM 19:51, 11/27/2011
- oh yeeeeaaah--126.96.36.199 21:12, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Yes please! --Hotadmin4u69 [TALK] 22:21 Nov 27 2011
- Oh, all right I didn't know things had gotten this bad. But I do care.--Sir Shandon (Talk) (Trophy Room) 22:44, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Stupid Fucking Commies I say we take Wikia by force. WHO IS WITH ME?! --++ 22:59, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- yep, yep! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) , 184.108.40.206's little brother
- Absolutely FOR! In fact, I would like to volunteer to help in any way I can. Since I'm studying to be a shrink, I should be able to handle this. -- Sir "TheSlyPony" Invariably certifiable. Rap sheet. His greatest achievement (and bizarre obsession). 01:45 November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Big ass for-- Phlegm Leoispotter * (garble! jank!) 04:17, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- For. --Skizzerz 06:13, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Abstain. I would rather the powers that be here choose to deal directly with Wikia (Staff, etc.). I dislike the whole concept of a mid-way discussion where very small placations and minor policy retractions can be made on the part of the more dominant party in the name of 'progress and cooperation' - all the while, little actual changes would be made.--
10:42, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- This guy's right! Fuck conversation and compromise! Let's just buy Wikia and end this damn charade! *pulls out thick stack of 20 dollar bills* -- 17:38, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- For. --Black Flamingo 14:17, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- For.. Lord Jaw-Jaw. --RomArtus*Imperator ® (Orate) 14:29, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- For. For the glory of Uncyclopedia- TALK What's it like to be a heretic? 17:17, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Wuck Fikia. Like, where the hell are our namespaces, maaaan? ~Somebody 17:27, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- This should be interesting.
- For., per Thekillerfroggy. ajr 19:55, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Abstain from abstaining I won't abstain this time. -- 01:11, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- 25th For.. Win. ~jcm 03:08, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- For Looks like I'm late to yet another party. -- 03:10, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- For. I swoop out of inactivity to vote yes. -- PLEB SIR Lollipop (TALK) - updated on 29 November 2011, at 04:14
- bonobo. 04:31, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- Holy shit! I must be seeing double! Two Gerrycheevers! -- 05:52, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- Sure. Also, Gerrycheevers?! What?! • • • Tuesday, 07:47, Nov 29 2011
- For. Mattsnow 07:52, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- Abstain Direct communication has proven to be pointless. I feel indirect communication will be more so. Pup 09:59 30 Nov '11
- Abstain. I'm not sure about mediation.... The Goa Tse Clan must decide. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Joe9320 (talk • contribs) 10:39, November 30, 2011 (UTC)
- Hey guys, I'm High General Aim's friend, Zach. Since his IP's banned, he told me to stand in for him and to vote For for this. I don't really know how the system works or anything, but he told me to use this sig thing: (Ruins) Thanks guys
Hold on a sec...
Maybe this is an admin thing...or an IRC thing...that being people talking about problems with wikia. I've never heard one example of problems with wikia (except that there were problems). Could someone give a couple or even one concrete example (other than...they change things)? --00:28, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- We have made a partial list of issues here. The main concern is that Wikia appears to ignore us when we try to get them to fix these issues and other similar issues. -- 01:07, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks Zombie. -- 01:09, November 29, 2011 (UTC)